View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 05, 2017, 11:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's actually quite simple, if one of the officials informed the team/coach that he had no timeouts left, as required by the rules, then the officials would know 100% for sure who was informed.
How in the heck would an official have any idea who is informed once you tell a coach or tell and assistant their timeout situation? I am not staying in the darn huddle for them to tell everyone what they are going to tell them. That is about as dumb as anything I have heard on this site if you think any official is hanging out to figure out if all team members (who might not even be next to the coach in the first place). That is like telling me that the official knows the play that was called during the timeout. There is no way unless you hanging out in the huddle to know what was said to players.

Quote:
It's not a flexible mechanic, it's a rule.
Yes a rule that has no specifics on how to tell them or what to say. Or even where to tell them. So your assessment of this is quite overstated. And if you are worried about that, then you will just have to be worried. I could not care less either way. Been in some high profile situations in my career and the last thing I am worried about is what a coach is told about in a game about their timeout situations.

Quote:
This isn't some type of courtesy that officials extend to teams and coaches, it's a long recognized rule that most of us have followed dozens (maybe more) of times. In my thirty-six years, as the calling official granting, and reporting, the final allotted timeout, and being informed as such by the table, I have never, ever, failed to inform the head coach, either during, or immediately after, the timeout, or, failing to get the attention of the head coach without interrupting his huddle, informing the assistant coach. As the non calling official, if the situation presents itself, I have asked my partner, "Did you inform the coach?".
I have been doing this for 20 and never had many officials worry about this. Again usually the table people are telling us when they have many timeouts left and it is long before they are out in the game. Usually there are situations that are communicated related to how many "30 second timeouts" are left.

Quote:
If the officials are informed by the table and they choose not to inform the team/coach, then they have simply kicked a rule (and in 99.9% (maybe more) of all cases, this doesn't result in any negative ramifications).
First of all, no one here brought up anything about this but you (it appears). That was not the issue of this thread or even the accusation of the team. You are the only one making this part of this an issue. The issue was whether or not the player requested a timeout, which appears to be the case in several videos about the topic. But somehow you are turned this (like you do other things) into something that has nothing to do with the actual topic. Congrats.

Quote:
Now, some officials do go beyond the rule and extend the courtesy of communicating to teams/coaches how many timeouts (before using all of them) they have remaining, "Coach, you have one sixty second timeout left", but that's outside of the rules, isn't required by the NFHS, and is more of a personal and/or local custom (maybe for building good rapport with the coaches). I don't do that, and my local board officials are instructed not to do that. It's a classic "When in Rome ..." situation.
Yes, that is true, but that is not what appears to have happened her. And I do not care what your local board does, because I do not work for one entity that tells us anything other than the IHSA. And they do not assign most of our games. And I have yet to see an email or comment about how officials handled a timeout situation when a team is out as an emphasis of doing our job.

Peace