View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Sometimes you need to officiate.

And, in the plays above, it might depend on the score. In the OP, the score was tied and the team was trying to advance the ball quickly to get off a shot. Don't let them have that advantage. If both teams are happy going to OT, or if A is up and B is out of TOs, then with 1.5, you can probably let time expire.
I read nothing of the team trying to "advance the ball quickly to get off a shot" in the OP. Also, I do not feel that this is a violation "immediately". There are too many things we do not know about the scenario in the OP. The cited case play is pretty obvious as to what the team is doing. They grab the ball, step towards the endline, and start quickly advancing the ball while not going fully out of bounds for the throw-in. Clearly the team attempted to take it out of bounds but did not fully do so. I think we have all had that play at one point, at least if you have a few years of officiating experience. That case is not the OP. Now, regarding the OP and the other listed plays, there are many reasons why the players would take a dribble up court. Maybe he was just about to give the ball to a teammate to inbound. Maybe he thought the time expired. Who knows? Anyway, once he has it, start a count. By the time you get to a second arm swing, time expires anyway. So what is the big deal with that? What else are you going to do, whistle a violation before the 1.5 seconds expires, put time on the clock after a conference with your partners(or go to monitor for some states), explain the call to the coaches, and give the ball to the other team with a chance to win? Seems like a silly way to handle it. Rather, be patient, let the time expire, and head to OT.

(I know, fine coming for number of words in a post)