View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Response to Wreck League

This is not a post to convince you to continue to do something that you do not enjoy doing, but a friendly response to your troubles. I enjoy the men's rec league that I work--three games on Sunday nights. They are amongst the best games I work all year for the quality of athletes and competitiveness. There are many former DI, DII and Juco players and my usual partner is a good friend and we discuss plays during breaks/time-outs.

-A guy argued that there is no 5 second closely guarded rule (we are NFHS). I explained that college and Fed are different, and he insisted that even in HS, there is no closely guarded.
Politely, but firmly explain the rule and move on.
-A guy didn't understand why after a false double foul (2 shots on a shooting foul, 2 for a T after the foul), they didn't get a chance to rebound the ball when we gave it to other team at half court for throw in. After explaining it, he said "you're trying to give them the game."
Politely, but firmly explain the rule and move on.
-Gave out 4 T's (2 f-bombs, 2 players shoving and almost fighting)
Blow the whistle and give the offender or both teams a verbal warning about the language first, then T them the next time. This usually works. Last time I used this in a rec-league game the teammates of the player who received the T were upset with their own player saying "he just warned you". Players shoving each other is a regular rec-league occurence. Deal with the situation and move on.
-Games 4 & 5, partner doesn't cross half court as T
A tough one. One "trick" I use is to ask my sluggish partner for help on drives to the basket in transition. Hopefully they will get the message to hustle a little more
-Partner signaling preliminary 3 on ball across the lane in other corner
Don't sweat the small stuff.
-Partner calls hand check as L across the lane behind 3 point line
Two man crew?..... let it go. Maybe you missed it

-Received email from coordinator telling me to take it easy on T's and to have thicker skin.
Call what needs to be called.

The extra money is nice, but it's not worth the headache. Kudos to those that lasted longer than the 1 1/2 seasons I lasted in men's wreck.
The reasons I still put up with the "headache"
1. Skills stay sharp year-round.
2. Stay in shape....getting paid for cardio
3. Opportunity to see plenty of plays. I know this has helped me in my post-season games the last couple of weeks.
4. Continuing education. Talking with my partners about plays and situations coupled with checking the rule/case books for answers.
5. Trying to improve. A former top D1 official in our association recently commented on how many of our officials "hang up their shoes for eight months and wonder why they don't get any better".
6. I still think it is fun.

Respectfully,

WJC3

Last edited by wjc3; Mon Feb 13, 2017 at 02:50pm.