The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 07, 2014, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Mike, the play I'm envisioning is the catcher with the ball, the runner slowing at 3rd - obviously no play at 3rd. F2 sees a runner heading for 2nd and fires. Surprised runner at 3rd sees the throw, takes a step or two toward home with the ball in the air, and decides not to go. There was never a play that was interfered with here.
I'm not envisioning anything, just reading the OP. It clearly states the runner rounded 3rd on the throw home, not to 2nd. That is an active runner in jeopardy.

Quote:

Obviously, there ARE situations where a play is available --- but deciding which are which is part of why we are there. A runner one step off 3rd with a catcher that's obviously not throwing to third is not going to be played on in real life, so i would not call that an available play. Do you disagree?
I WOULD have to see it, but if you want to work with supposition, how do you know it was obvious C wasn't throwing to 3B if her attention and throw was drawn by the retired player? I've often seen a catcher make a throw to 3B when it seemed obvious there was no play. But what may seem obvious to you may not be to the catcher, OR the runner who make get caught sleeping.

As noted, HTBT, but the team violating the rule should not get the benefit of any doubt.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2014, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm not envisioning anything, just reading the OP. It clearly states the runner rounded 3rd on the throw home, not to 2nd. That is an active runner in jeopardy.

I WOULD have to see it, but if you want to work with supposition, how do you know it was obvious C wasn't throwing to 3B if her attention and throw was drawn by the retired player? I've often seen a catcher make a throw to 3B when it seemed obvious there was no play. But what may seem obvious to you may not be to the catcher, OR the runner who make get caught sleeping.

As noted, HTBT, but the team violating the rule should not get the benefit of any doubt.
So I'm a little confused on your take on this. (And frankly it's always been a little obscure). So if the runner is not in jeopardy at the time of the throw (laying on the ground having just slid into third and not even getting up), and then the offense draws an illegal throw to second and then the runner from third gets up and runs home, do you have interference? And how long can you wait? For example, suppose the throw goes into center field but the runner is still getting up so she doesn't move yet and then the center fielder misplays the throw that never would have happened and now the runner goes home.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2014, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So I'm a little confused on your take on this. (And frankly it's always been a little obscure). So if the runner is not in jeopardy at the time of the throw (laying on the ground having just slid into third and not even getting up), and then the offense draws an illegal throw to second and then the runner from third gets up and runs home, do you have interference? And how long can you wait? For example, suppose the throw goes into center field but the runner is still getting up so she doesn't move yet and then the center fielder misplays the throw that never would have happened and now the runner goes home.
I'm addressing the play at hand where a play may have been available. In you scenario in SP, if the only active runner is laying on the ground or just standing on the base, I'm killing the ball. I'd probably do the same thing in FP.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm addressing the play at hand where a play may have been available. In you scenario in SP, if the only active runner is laying on the ground or just standing on the base, I'm killing the ball. I'd probably do the same thing in FP.
Me too.

Honestly, this exact scenario has always felt like a hole in the rules. At the moment the throw is made on the retired runner, there is no play available... thus no interference. But the poor throw CREATED a play, and created an advantage unintended by the rules. I've come across this exact scenario three times. Once when I was relatively new, and the more experienced PU killed the play immediately and we discussed in post game. Once when I was the experienced guy - and I killed the play ... and discussed post-game. And once when I was UIC at a tourney - the younger guys let play continue and no one protested so it didn't come to me... until the post game.

Seems this could clearly be written into the rules or at least be given a case play.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I can see how, at the moment I called "Out" (at 1B), all attention then went to throwing the ball home (with the associated screaming and yelling), so it's POSSIBLE the BR didn't hear that she was out.

If that's not the case, then the point of her continuing to 2B was SOLELY to interfere.

It wasn't a bang-bang at 1B, my call was audible, so I didn't feel it was a "gotcha" call at 2B...

Still, the reason I was questioning myself (and posting here) was the fact that R1 didn't break for home on the throw. If she did, I'd've had no doubt.

Thanks for your debate, as always.

Last edited by jmkupka; Wed Oct 08, 2014 at 10:54am.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Me too.

Honestly, this exact scenario has always felt like a hole in the rules. At the moment the throw is made on the retired runner, there is no play available... thus no interference. But the poor throw CREATED a play, and created an advantage unintended by the rules. I've come across this exact scenario three times. Once when I was relatively new, and the more experienced PU killed the play immediately and we discussed in post game. Once when I was the experienced guy - and I killed the play ... and discussed post-game. And once when I was UIC at a tourney - the younger guys let play continue and no one protested so it didn't come to me... until the post game.

Seems this could clearly be written into the rules or at least be given a case play.
Killing the play feels right. But is there any rule support for it at all? I suppose it just becomes an inadvert call of time, but doing that on purpose feels somehow sketchy.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
killing the play feels right. But is there any rule support for it at all? I suppose it just becomes an inadvert call of time, but doing that on purpose feels somehow sketchy.
10.4.a
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Killing the play feels right. But is there any rule support for it at all? I suppose it just becomes an inadvert call of time, but doing that on purpose feels somehow sketchy.
I'm not a big fan of the "anything not covered by the rules" rule.... but this one seems like one of those cases.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Are you killing it for the dead ball interference call in the OP or some other reason?
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

OC: Why are you killing the play & preventing my runner on 3rd from advancing?

BU: Your retired runner was continuing to run, and drew the throw.

Knowledgable DC, overhearing the conversation: That's in black and white in the book, Blue! R1 should be out then!
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
OC: Why are you killing the play & preventing my runner on 3rd from advancing?

BU: Your retired runner was continuing to run, and drew the throw.

Knowledgable DC, overhearing the conversation: That's in black and white in the book, Blue! R1 should be out then!
Show me where it says, coach, in black and white, that R1 should be out at the moment we stopped play?

(Please note that the operative word in the rule that covers a retired runner drawing a throw is "COULD BE", and not IS.)

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Are you killing it for the dead ball interference call in the OP or some other reason?
As they both noted, they're killing it because it's a situation not covered in the rules for which the equitable penalty is to make the ball dead. A retired runner drawing a throw that isn't interference is not covered in the rules ...

But then a non-retired runner who runs to second to draw a throw that isn't interference isn't covered in the rules either, but we wouldn't kill it then.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Please note that the operative word in the rule that covers a retired runner drawing a throw is "COULD BE", and not IS.)

And this is key. The rule says it could be, not that it is INT. It is only INT if the umpire says it is INT