The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
David, good luck with your crusade, although I suspect you'd have a greater impact on the game by teaching umpires the rule.
Yeah, you're probably right.

As far as explaining/teaching it ... been there done that.

The problem is that nobody really feels the need to understand this rule very in depth, mostly because their experience tells them that they know "enough" of the rule to be functional. And they're right!

But the day they run up against a creative coach, who understands the rule very well, they will have difficulties.

But even then ... probably not. Because it's unlikely the other team will have a clear understanding of what is legal or not.

There'll be some questions asked. The lineup cards will come out. Then there'll be a collective shrug of the shoulders and the game will continue, whether it was done properly or not.

I have to confess, when I coached, we would frequently have the DP on the field while the DEFO (old terminology) was on the bench. I knew it was illegal but nobody noticed, nobody cared, and we were getting everybody in without having to worry about substitutions. Of course, this only works with low-profile players, usually an outfielder.

Nobody hardly takes the time to notice that there is a different left fielder out there this inning compared to last inning. And even if they did, they'd probably dismiss it as the usual DP defensive shuffling that can occur - not realizing that the FLEX is on the bench, illegally, because no substitution was announced.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
You've essentially proposed the DP/FLEX become a half-EP, that's all. But, have fun with your proposal - now all you need is someone to sponsor it at the next NFHS rules committee meeting.
Resurrecting an old thread.

And look what happened! The NCAA is implementing an experimental rule that is exactly as I proposed it back in 2006 when I wrote a 3-part article on officiating.com as a superior alternative to the highly convoluted DP/FLEX rule.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...e-%20Links.pdf

Much simpler! Far superior! Two players share the same spot in the line-up. Either one can bat in that spot. Either one can play the field. Either one can run for the other. And, when they do this "switching", it is never a substitution. The two players are inextricably linked together. They are one-in-the-same player.

It accomplishes everything the DP/FLEX rule did, but without all the complications of going back and forth between 9 and 10 players and tracking how many times somebody has reentered.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
The DP bats and gets on base. The coach calls time and wants the FLEX to run for the DP. Legal! Since the FLEX player is the pitcher, the coach then wants a courtesy runner for his pitcher. Legal? Yes!

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
NOT legal !!
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I was making it too complicated. When I slowed down, took one thing at a time, and learned better lineup card management - the DP/Flex became very easy.
Ding Ding, - the winner !!!!
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
Resurrecting an old thread.

And look what happened! The NCAA is implementing an experimental rule that is exactly as I proposed it back in 2006 when I wrote a 3-part article on officiating.com as a superior alternative to the highly convoluted DP/FLEX rule.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...e-%20Links.pdf

Much simpler! Far superior! Two players share the same spot in the line-up. Either one can bat in that spot. Either one can play the field. Either one can run for the other. And, when they do this "switching", it is never a substitution. The two players are inextricably linked together. They are one-in-the-same player.

It accomplishes everything the DP/FLEX rule did, but without all the complications of going back and forth between 9 and 10 players and tracking how many times somebody has reentered.
With DP/FLEX, both can play defense at the same time, hence FLEXible.