The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Helping the runner (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96137-helping-runner.html)

MD Longhorn Fri Sep 20, 2013 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 905605)
And according to interpretation in Ohio, if the runner is part of a pile it's legal.

Do you deny that the powers that be in Ohio have said that pushing the pile is legal?

John has no idea. He's read no interpretations (and when we post them here he argues with them). He's attended no clinics, sat in no rooms after games with other officials, driven home discussing plays with no officials, etc.

He has a rulebook, and thinks that's enough.

JRutledge Fri Sep 20, 2013 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 905607)
John has no idea. He's read no interpretations (and when we post them here he argues with them). He's attended no clinics, sat in no rooms after games with other officials, driven home discussing plays with no officials, etc.

He has a rulebook, and thinks that's enough.

That is why I love guys that coach that come to officiating and they realize how hard it is to do what we do. Or they realize how ignorant they were about things that took place from our side of the field. And I respect the time coaches put into the game to become better, but they have no idea the hours we put in to learn the game and the rules.

Peace

Suudy Sat Sep 21, 2013 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 905608)
That is why I love guys that coach that come to officiating and they realize how hard it is to do what we do. Or they realize how ignorant they were about things that took place from our side of the field. And I respect the time coaches put into the game to become better, but they have no idea the hours we put in to learn the game and the rules.

Peace

We've often stated in our association that at least the HC should officiate 1 year. Then they might have the experience and perspective to quash the stupid thinking we often see.

bigjohn Sat Sep 21, 2013 02:33pm

You guys have no idea what I have done or seen!

asdf Sun Sep 22, 2013 09:08am

I do know that you have yet to answer (or even attempt to) my question.

chapmaja Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:19am

[QUOTE=paxsonref;905492]Take a look at these two videos...do you have anything here?

I am not a football official (except flag football), but I also have nothing on this. I agree with those saying they are pushing the pile, which in my opinion, constitutes attempting to block players that are attempting to tackle the ball carrier.

I have seen aiding the runner called once in my lifetime. Homecoming at my HS and the opponent handed the ball off and as the play came down field, the RB cut back so a OL was right behind him. The OL just flat out 2 hand shoved him in the middle of the back for about 4 yards as a helpless (that was my HS's entire team for most of the last decade) defender tried making a tackle. The funny thing was nobody on the crew knew the signal, they just knew it happened.

bigjohn Sun Sep 22, 2013 02:05pm

Scout.com: 2003 DIVISION V STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

I am not sure where the new ohio director stands on this issue.

asdf Sun Sep 22, 2013 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 905709)

I am not sure where the new ohio director stands on this issue.

you've been told plenty of times...

bigjohn Sun Sep 22, 2013 08:44pm

Same guy that says it is fine to wear shorts on Friday night?

asdf Sun Sep 22, 2013 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 905734)
Same guy that says it is fine to wear shorts on Friday night?

Yep, along with the current and former State Rules Interpreters.

bigjohn Mon Sep 23, 2013 05:51am

If it is not a safety issue for the fb to run and drill his own QB in the back to try and push the entire pile into the end zone or for a first down, I don't know what is.

It is silly to say it is not HTR runner when this happens.

asdf Mon Sep 23, 2013 06:00am

Whether or not you agree with the rule isn't and hasn't been the issue. There are many that we don't agree with as well. (was a recent thread about that subject)

I don't agree with the rule allowing blocking below the waist in the FBZ (under certain conditions) However, I don't go around saying that BBW in the FBZ is illegal,

MD Longhorn Mon Sep 23, 2013 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 905744)
If it is not a safety issue for the fb to run and drill his own QB in the back to try and push the entire pile into the end zone or for a first down, I don't know what is.

You are correct.

Welpe Mon Sep 23, 2013 09:13am

Cooler weather, changing color on leaves, football and Big John vs. everyone else arguing. These are the markers of fall.

Are we about done here or do I actually need to lock this thread, too?

HLin NC Mon Sep 23, 2013 09:20am

I vote yes

Quote:

are we about done here or do i actually need to lock this thread, too?
+1