The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Question

"Kick strikes Official"

In the case play, K is attempting a field goal. The kick, untouched by K or R, strikes the umpire who is standing in the end zone, and caroms off him over the cross bar and through the uprights. The answer given is that the kick is no good, and a touchback results.

I disagree. The kick should be scored a field goal. If you read rules 4-2-2d, 4-2-2e3, 6-3-1b, and 8-5-3a2, it does not say the ball becomes dead when it strikes an official inbounds. Inbounds includes the field of play and the end zone.

Can anybody help me out? Am I missing a rule or a case play here?
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Case play 4.1.5

This case play is the closest one I can find related to my question. It states that if a forward pass strikes an official standing inbounds, and is subsequently caught by a or B, it is a live ball.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

I would have to disagree with you, Mike. I believe, in this case, the ball touching the official, is the same as touching the ground where the official is standing. I don't believe there's any intent by the NFHS for a FGA that's obviously going to be unsuccessful, to hit an official, go through the uprights and have the kick be successful.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Oct 5th, 2002 at 05:16 PM]
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Key phrase is breaking the plane...

Thanks BBR.

After I went back to rule 4-2-2d2, I noted that the field goal attempt is no good as soon as the kick crosses the plane of the goal line and it has apparently failed.

Lets say I'm the umpire and I stand about 6 feet tall in my shoes. If the kick hits me in the end zone it will obviously fail because the cross bar is 10 feet off the ground.

Its a simple matter of applying basic geometry.

We have a week-off over here because of the Maui County Fair. How is your season going so far?
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb I "stand" corrected...

Thanks BBR. I went back and read the rule again and I came to the conclusion that if I stand 6 feet tall, and the kick hits me in the head after crossing the plane of the goal line, and the crossbar is 10 feet off the ground, it was already apparent that the kick crossed the goal line and will apparently fail.

Its a matter of applying simple geometry.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Key phrase is breaking the plane...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
We have a week-off over here because of the Maui County Fair. How is your season going so far?
Pretty strong. Last night, had a 4A game with the #4 team in the state on the road at the preseason conference favorite's place. TV, two radio stations, lots of hoopla. A lotta fun!

BTW., I don't blame you for questioning a REFEREE play. They're wrong quite often!