The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

My last post seemed to get one comment over and over....there are a lot of rule changes that need to be made ahead of one that I suggested.

Here's your chance to make them known. List your top 5 rules that you feel are in need of changing and what your change would be.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

For NFHS rules:

1. Allow scoring teams the option to enforce dead-ball fouls by B after a touchdown-scoring play on the kickoff. A 1 1/2 yard penalty is no big deal to most teams in most situations.

2. Give R the option on kick-catching interference to enforce the penalty 15 yards from the spot of the foul and retain possession.

3. Allow B to score on a try, similar to NCAA rules.

4. Allow B to gain possession and advance a fumble or interception in overtime.

That's really all I have right now, I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

A> Offensive Pass Interference:
1. Changed to a 5 yard penalty and loss of down. or
2. 15 yard penalty and replay the down.

Seems pretty severe to be hit with both.

B> Defensive Pass Interference:
1. If the interference takes place less than 15 yards from the line of scrimmage it is a spot foul and auto first down
2. If the interference takes place more than 15 yards from the line of scrimmage then let it stand as it is stated today.

C> The offense should have the opprotunity to have a defensive penalty on a score by A to have it assessed on the kick off.

D> Allow a free kick to be returned out of the endzone.

Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Change the Illegal Participation foul for A accidentally stepping out of bounds and continuing to play to the rule the NCAA uses.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WVREF
Change the Illegal Participation foul for A accidentally stepping out of bounds and continuing to play to the rule the NCAA uses.
Is the NCAA rule similar to the NFL rule?
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WVREF
As Ricky would say, "splain."
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwes68
For NFHS rules:

4. Allow B to gain possession and advance a fumble or interception in overtime.

It might be easier if you take this up with your individual state vs. the federation level. In NJ we have a procedure similar to the NCAA where this is allowed.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

The way it has been explained to me (I don't officiate NCAA) under NCAA rules if A10 accidentally steps out of bounds he can't be the first player to touch the ball, ie. receive the pass. If this happens its a previous spot, loss of down, no yardage penalty. In otherwords treat it like an incomplete pass for enforcement, except that the ball doesn't become dead until the play ends. If any NCAA guys can elaborate it might help. I just hate the idea of flagging a player for illegal participation because he accidentally steps on the side line or end line. I know many officials "don't see" this occur but it can come back to bite us when he makes the reception because we were supposed to flag it when he re-entered.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: WVREF pretty much nailed it...at least for pass plays. The penalty however, is not for going out of bounds and returning. There is no penalty for that per se. When an eligible Team A player goes out of bounds (except for being blocked OOB) he loses his eligibility until the pass touches an opponent or an official. Therefore when he is first to touch the forward pass, he's committed 'illegal touching' (signal 16) since he's ineligible.

However, if a Team A player goes out of bounds during a scrimmage kick, he can't return during the down. (Same exception for being blocked OOB)