The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
You have to assume that they are interpreted correctly and defined as such in the rules.
They're not complicated words.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

They are to golfers lol.

Been a few local meetings where I felt a dictionary was required
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

okay is there a link to the web version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
They are up now and have been for a few weeks now. Web access only but they are available and searchable.
okay is there a link to the web version
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 09:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A case play covers that question better, actually.

Here's one from the test:

Q: If the timer erroneously runs the clock for more than five seconds, the referee has no authority to put five seconds on the clock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
False, 5-10, case plays from 5.10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Where's the definite knowledge of 5 seconds?

Or are you saying that if I know at least 5 seconds ran off it's perfectly OK for me to put 5 on, even though that's not an accurate number?
Quote:
Oh, so it's a trick question? B/c we are definitely allowed to put time on the clock. That's the kind of crap I don't like on these tests.

"...the referee has no authority to put five seconds on the clock." is false b/c the referee does have that authority; whether or not he had definite knowledge is not addressed.
However the question was worded on the test, I got it wrong...SMH Maybe I missed a word or something. Again, to me, this is a trick question, instead of a question geared at finding out if we know the rule.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However the question was worded on the test, I got it wrong...SMH Maybe I missed a word or something. Again, to me, this is a trick question, instead of a question geared at finding out if we know the rule.
I read that question to be a question on the statute of limitations for making a correction.....that if the time that ran off was more than 5 seconds, it is or is not too late to make a correction. I did not think it was about definite knowledge.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 03:10pm
We don't rent pigs

Okay, here's the question I missed:

Prior to either team gaining control on a jump ball to start the overtime period, B2 is charged with an intentional personal foul. Ruling: The scorer should set the arrow when the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower for the throw-in opposite the table at mid court.

true or false

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post

Prior to either team gaining control on a jump ball to start the overtime period, B2 is charged with an intentional personal foul. Ruling: The scorer should set the arrow when the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower for the throw-in opposite the table at mid court.

true or false
Not enough information to answer.

IF the nearest spot to the foul is "opposite the table at mid court" then it's true. IF the nearest spot to the foul is other than that, then it's false.

Or, if you think they are asking about the arrow alone (and ignoring any spot issues), it's true.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

true or false
me thinks not enough info to correctly answer
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

IF the nearest spot to the foul is "opposite the table at mid court" then it's true. IF the nearest spot to the foul is other than that, then it's false.
Or, if you think they are asking about the arrow alone (and ignoring any spot issues), it's true.
Poorly worded question. I'll go out on a limb and say maybe they are trying to see if officials know that the throw-in spot for an intentional personal foul isn't automaticlly at the division line opposite the table.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 03:29pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Poorly worded question. I'll go out on a limb and say maybe they are trying to see if officials know that the throw-in spot for an intentional personal foul isn't automaticlly at the division line opposite the table.
Apparently the key to the question was when the arrow is set. I think I've had a variation of this before which stated it was set when the free throw shooter got the ball at his disposal. I take the position that the phrase "at the division line opposite the table" makes the whole thing false. As pointed out above, it shouldn't take a coincidence to make a true statement on a test.

Unfortunately, the "correct" answer was listed as true.

Fortunately, this was the only question I missed, so my rating was not affected. I hope that missing this question didn't affect anyone else's rating.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 03:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Apparently the key to the question was when the arrow is set. I think I've had a variation of this before which stated it was set when the free throw shooter got the ball at his disposal....
I took that as the point of the question. If it had been a common foul, the arrow would be set when ball placed at the disposal of the free throw shooter. For an intentional or technical foul (and flagrant?), arrow isn't set until at the disposal of the thrower-in.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I took that as the point of the question. If it had been a common foul, the arrow would be set when ball placed at the disposal of the free throw shooter. For an intentional or technical foul (and flagrant?), arrow isn't set until at the disposal of the thrower-in.
i agree the questions arent clear often. add things to confuse. reading the question itself, it wants to know when the scorer is to set the arrow. if the referee decides to put the ball in play from the dead corner at the opposite end of the court, completely wrong area, the scorer should still set the arrow...

They add the stuff about mid court etc which just confuses etc. and with them it wouldnt surprise me which answer they said was correct....very frustrating....
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

true or false
Was this on Part 2? Cause I didn't see it on part 1.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 04:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

It's false either way. The arrow is set sooner than this.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Bob is right with the rule. Not sure what you meant by the arrow is set sooner than this. By definition...

4-3
“Alternating-possession control is established and the initial direction of the possession arrow is set toward the opponent’s basket when:

ART. 1 . . . A player secures control of the ball, as after the jump ball beginning the game and each extra period.

ART. 2 . . . The ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower after a *common foul when the bonus free throw is in effect.

ART. 3 . . . The ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower after:

a. A violation during or following the jump before a player secures control.

b. The free throws for a noncommon foul.

c. A common foul before the bonus free throw is in effect.”

Excerpt From: NFHS & Theresia Wynns. “2014-15 Basketball Rules Book.” NFHS. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/s1l02.l