The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 07:54pm
Lighten up, Francis.

NCAA shot clock question

During a loose ball while Team A has team control, A1 and B1 bat the ball simultaneously and the ball passes through the basket from below.

The AP arrow favors Team A. Do we reset the shot clock?

I think we do, because the shot clock rules say to reset on a violation, with a few exceptions. But one of the exceptions is when the ball is knocked out of bounds simultaneously by opponents and the arrow favors the team that had control.

So the play in question doesn't seem to fit the spirit of the "violation" rule and doesn't fit the letter of the "out of bounds" rule.

So do we reset or no?
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
No reset.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 09:07pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
No reset.
Rationale? Case play?
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 09:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Rationale? Case play?
Ball didn't hit the rim. Team Control was never terminated. We have a situation that is handled with an AP arrow giving the ball back to the offense. What rationale would you have TO RESET the shot clock.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 09:44pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Ball didn't hit the rim. Team Control was never terminated. We have a situation that is handled with an AP arrow giving the ball back to the offense. What rationale would you have TO RESET the shot clock.
The rules say to reset on a violation.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the violation was on the defense. This is a POI issue where the POI is the AP arrow and the ball goes back to the offense.

the rule also says that on a violation by the offense the ball is given to the defense, but you are only applying only one half the logic here. Both sides violated hence the AP.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
It's not reset on all kick balls. It's not reset on an OOB violation. It's not reset on double fouls.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
During a loose ball while Team A has team control, A1 and B1 bat the ball simultaneously and the ball passes through the basket from below.
Are you allowed to rule that way?

6-3 (AP Situations) and 7-3 allow for simultaneous touching on OOB, but I don't recall anything similar for "kicking, fisting or through the basket from below"
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

6-3 (AP Situations) and 7-3 allow for simultaneous touching on OOB, but I don't recall anything similar for "kicking, fisting or through the basket from below"
And in cases where there is no explicit rulings common sense and application of similar type situations would best apply IMO.

These situations are very rare, I haven't seen this in over 10 years of work, but I would feel comfortable to go to the POI and let my assignor/association make a formal ruling on what should be done after the fact.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
And in cases where there is no explicit rulings common sense and application of similar type situations would best apply IMO.

These situations are very rare, I haven't seen this in over 10 years of work, but I would feel comfortable to go to the POI and let my assignor/association make a formal ruling on what should be done after the fact.
As long as we agree that it's a 2-3 (elastic clause) situation ...
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Keep in mind, per NCAA-M rules, the shot clock resets when a legitimate shot hits the rim.....NOT a passed, batted, or deflected ball hits the rim. The NBA rule is much easier....ball hits rim = reset, no matter what. NCAA-M requires shot vs no-shot judgement from shot clock operator.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:28pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Quote:
If the violation was on the defense.
That's not what the rule says. I don't have my rulebook handy, but if you look up the rule (I think it's 2-11), it clearly says to reset after a violation. There are, of course, some exceptions in the next article of the rule; but this doesn't seem to be one of them.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:30pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
A1 and B1 bat the ball simultaneously and the ball passes through the basket from below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Fair point. So suppose that you simply can't determine who touched it last. You'd have to go to the arrow, right?

This play, btw, actually happened in a high school game around here last season.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:33pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
This is a POI issue where the POI is the AP arrow
Quote:
I would feel comfortable to go to the POI and let my assignor/association make a formal ruling on what should be done after the fact.
What makes this a POI situation? It's not an accidental whistle, a double foul, or a correctable error. So while I agree that we have to go to the arrow, I don't think it's technically a POI situation.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What makes this a POI situation? It's not an accidental whistle, a double foul, or a correctable error. So while I agree that we have to go to the arrow, I don't think it's technically a POI situation.
How do you figure its NOT a POI here? If the offense causes the ball to go through the bottom of the basket does that carry the same penalty as if the defense were to do it?

So you have a simultaneous violation do we not? There is an argument that makes sense for an AP throw in, however since there is no ruling here I would feel more comfortable going to the POI and letting my rules assignor/NFHS rules committee (whomever above me) make a formal ruling. But if someone were to rather go AP then I cannot really disagree with them. Here both sides of the coin are valid.