The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Asking to keep this simple. I've referenced the books and association coordinators

Sit: Throw in Violations

1) If a defender reach's or steps over the line - one warning per team. Next is a T.

2) If a defender reach's over (into OOB territory) and strikes the ball in throwers possession, its an immediate T - no warning (Delay of Game book says)

3) If defender reach's over and strikes PLAYER preparing for a throw in, it's a **WHAT**?

4) If defender stikes hand of thrower while thrower places ball over the line and onto the court, its a common foul.

RSVP
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

on #3 what do you mean by preparing to throw ball in.

If player has ball then the foul is an intentional. If player does not have ball it is a T

#4 If he hits hand and hand is on ball as thrower is reaching through the plane I have nothing.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

just my guess

I am far from the professional, but I will provide my answers.

1. you are correct, Team warning, notify the coach and mark it in the bok, next is a T.

2. auto T, you are correct

3. I would have to say this is a personal foul, since the ball is live.
4. I would have to see this, but I would think this is nothing since the hand is part of the ball while the player is holding the ball and the thrower has extended the ball over the plane it is far game.

I am sure the pros will come in and clean up whatever I missed.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

edits in CAPITALS:

Asking to keep this simple. I've referenced the books and association coordinators

1) If a defender reach's or steps over the line - one warning per team. Next is a T.

2) If a defender reach's over (into OOB territory) and strikes JUST THE the ball in throwers possession, its an immediate T - no warning (Delay of Game book says)

3) If defender reach's over and FOULS PLAYER ATTEMPTING a throw in, it's a **WHAT**?

4) If defender FOULS thrower while thrower places ball over the line and onto the court, its a common foul.

RSVP
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

edits in CAPITALS:

2) If a defender reach's over (into OOB territory) and strikes JUST THE the ball in throwers possession, its an immediate T - no warning (Delay of Game book says)

3) If defender reach's over and FOULS PLAYER ATTEMPTING a throw in, it's a **WHAT**?

4) If defender FOULS thrower while thrower places ball over the line and onto the court, its a common foul.

RSVP
Sit. 3 is an intentional foul by rule - see item 4 in the penalty section at the end of 9-2.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Also, number 2 is a T, but it also serves as a warning should any player on that team later reach over (thus another T, not a warning).
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Several times I've seen young officials give a "T" to the same player for a second plane violation occurrence right after giving them a warning for the first plane violation.

Correct by rule, but very preventable in my opinion. Young officials often fail to warn the player of the consequences of reaching over that plane again. After they do it the first time, put the fear of God into them of what's going to happen if they do it again.

Z
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

edits in CAPITALS:

RSVP
1) Warning and possibly a T even on first offense. 9-2-11 and penalty section; 10.1.10; 10.3.11 Sitch B
2) T. 9-2 Penalty section #3; 10.3.11 sitch A (b)
3) Intentional foul. 9-2 Penalty section #4; 10.3.11.sitch A (a)
4) I think this is the same as 3. A player is oob until he has come in-bounds. To say that the foul occurred on the in-bounds side of the plane is false because the thrower is still oob. The foul is on an oob player and therefore intentional. Incidently, the thrower would have to reach pretty far through the boundary to have a foul occur on the in-bounds side of the boundary.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

As further clarification (I don't think anyone's mentioned this), situation #1 results in a TEAM technical foul for delay of game (10-1-10), while situation #2 is a PLAYER technical foul (10-3-11).
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

In situation number 2 wouldn't it be team warning for breaking the plane before he actually touched the ball?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

edits in CAPITALS:

If there is no ball or player contact and the ball is inbounded, nothing. If touched, warning.

Yes.

Intentional Foul.

Yes.

RSVP
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:

edits in CAPITALS:

If there is no ball or player contact and the ball is inbounded, nothing. If touched, warning.

Yes.

Intentional Foul.

Yes.

RSVP
PS: How do you quote different paragraphs without it appearing to be one post?

Two years and still a rookie at this!
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
]

PS: How do you quote different paragraphs without it appearing to be one post?
[/quote]

like ...

Quote:
Two years and still a rookie at this!
... this