The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Wrestling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
I understand that if the bottom wrestler does an illegal action an extra near-fall point is awarded in addition to the penalty point if the referee stops the match. My question is if you give the extra point if you do not stop the match, i.e. pusshing on the face that isn't endangering the top man, and the period expires?

Thanks for your response ahead of time.

Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Found my own answer

Thanks to all those who are going to reply, but I found the answer and figured I'd share it with everyone in case they were wondering the same thing. On the NFHS website I looked at the 2002-2003 NFHS Wrestling Rules Interpretations. At the end of the document there is a clarification that says that the referee stopping the match includes 1) stopping the match due to the penalty (The match need not be stopped unless the referee finds it necessary to do so to protect the wrestler) 2)going out of bounds or 3) period ends

So, basically, the extra point would be given in all situations except when there is a fall, but the penalty point would still be awarded if it is necessary for your tie-breaker procedure.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

nearfall rule

abergman- the call is a delayed call unless there is danger to the offensive wrestler. Pushing on the face would be adjusted and the situation allowed to continue. When the situation ends then you would award the near-fall, the bonus, and the penalty. Multiple fouls during the near-fall are multiple penalties. I.E. You are held in near-fall for 5 seconds and during that time you have, grabbed a singlet, pushed on the face, regrabbed the singlet, and pushed on the face again. The scoring sequence would be: near-fall 3, +1 for the grab, +1 for the push, +2 for the grab and disqualification for the repush. Total of 7 points for the near-fall and the disqualfication.