The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Rules Changes - NFHS (2015-16) (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/99158-rules-changes-nfhs-2015-16-a.html)

FMadera Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:12pm

Rules Changes - NFHS (2015-16)
 
http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-...essary-delays/

Good changes here.

pavbref Mon Jan 26, 2015 05:33pm

NFHS Volleyball Rule Changes
 
Finally a rule change that makes sense. We had several coaches that abused the unnecessary delay rule because the penalty was a time-out unless they had no time-outs remaining. Glad to see the progressing card system used like the other rule sets --i.e. USAV and NCAAW

timasdf Mon Aug 22, 2016 01:12pm

Effectively no penalty for third timeout request
 
I know that I am resurrecting a thread from 18 months ago, but is this new rule really better for the spirit of the game?

I can understand some thinking that a loss of rally/point for a third TO request was too harsh.

A very common strategy is to use a TO to ice / distract the opposing team's server.

With the new rule, however, a coach can shout TIME OUT moments before the opponent is about to serve, with no real penalty. With the large amount of time administering the UD, the coach gets the full effect of the ice / distraction, without any real penalty.

This may correspond with other rule sets, but I fail to see how this advances the spirit of the game.

FMadera Mon Aug 22, 2016 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by timasdf (Post 990090)
I know that I am resurrecting a thread from 18 months ago, but is this new rule really better for the spirit of the game?

I can understand some thinking that a loss of rally/point for a third TO request was too harsh.

A very common strategy is to use a TO to ice / distract the opposing team's server.

With the new rule, however, a coach can shout TIME OUT moments before the opponent is about to serve, with no real penalty. With the large amount of time administering the UD, the coach gets the full effect of the ice / distraction, without any real penalty.

This may correspond with other rule sets, but I fail to see how this advances the spirit of the game.

Eh. If done well after the beckon of service and is clearly an attempt to disconcert the server, this is sanctionable under 12𣈂朼.

timasdf Mon Aug 22, 2016 04:45pm

Agreed...and I have done that!

The more effective way for the coach is to shout TIME OUT right *before* the beckon for serve. It accomplishes the ice/distract, but effectively incurs no penalty.

No way that is within the spirit of the rules, which says 2 TO max.

FMadera Mon Aug 22, 2016 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by timasdf (Post 990104)
Agreed...and I have done that!

The more effective way for the coach is to shout TIME OUT right *before* the beckon for serve. It accomplishes the ice/distract, but effectively incurs no penalty.

No way that is within the spirit of the rules, which says 2 TO max.

No different than a cheap lineup check request.

bob jenkins Tue Aug 23, 2016 08:32am

I seem to recall that I was told just to ignore such a request (late in the set, used up the two TOs, no admin yellow card yet). Then deal with it after the point.

FMadera Tue Aug 23, 2016 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 990125)
I seem to recall that I was told just to ignore such a request (late in the set, used up the two TOs, no admin yellow card yet). Then deal with it after the point.

Correct. Wave it off, assess the delay after the point.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1