The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Protest Upheld (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/98715-protest-upheld.html)

kayla vb Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10am

Protest Upheld

The Big XII has announced that a protest filed by Iowa State in a loss to Texas Tech on October 18th was valid and the match will be replayed from the point of the protest (TTU 8, ISU 5 in the 5th set). - link

Does anybody know if this has happened anywhere else recently (or even not recently)? It is pretty unique to NCAA I believe as USAV protests are handled before the match is resumed and NFHS doesn't allow for protests (I don't think). I've never heard of a protest being upheld and a match begin replayed from that point before.

FMadera Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayla vb (Post 944807)
The Big XII has announced that a protest filed by Iowa State in a loss to Texas Tech on October 18th was valid and the match will be replayed from the point of the protest (TTU 8, ISU 5 in the 5th set). - link

Does anybody know if this has happened anywhere else recently (or even not recently)? It is pretty unique to NCAA I believe as USAV protests are handled before the match is resumed and NFHS doesn't allow for protests (I don't think). I've never heard of a protest being upheld and a match begin replayed from that point before.

It happened on the men's side a couple of years ago. Really messy situation.
Servegate call overturned again, BYU, UCLA to replay overtime tonight | Off the Block

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:41pm

Does anyone know what the issue was in this match originally?

FMadera Wed Nov 26, 2014 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 944828)

I believe there was a question of an illegal sub and the penalty assessed, along with whether or not it should have been. I haven't really seen anything substantial.

kayla vb Wed Nov 26, 2014 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 944828)

Nobody really knows for sure. From everything I've read, it seems like a scoresheet issue. Scorekeeper messed up, which led to an incorrect call of illegal player on the court.

FMadera Wed Nov 26, 2014 09:47pm

Iowa State Wins Resumed Match Over Texas Tech

Antonio.King Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:24am

Yikes! This is interesting. So if the match is resumed from the point of the lodged protest, then they bring in new referees to finish those few points, and that's it?

FMadera Thu Nov 27, 2014 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio.King (Post 944888)
Yikes! This is interesting. So if the match is resumed from the point of the lodged protest, then they bring in new referees to finish those few points, and that's it?

The two teams played their regularly scheduled match later that evening, so I would assume it was with the same two referees.

john5396 Mon Dec 01, 2014 08:25am

In baseball, where a suspended game is a normal occurrence, within rulesets that allow suspended games (NFHS, NCAA). When the game is rescheduled the booking agent tries to get the same officials to finish the game. If they aren't available, then new officials work the completion of the game. It is normal to try and schedule the completion for the same day as the next meeting, and the umpires work the conclusion of the suspended game as well as the new game.

I assume the AD's would work to use the same ideas when completing the match from the point of the protest.