The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Proper way to replace line Judge (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/98403-proper-way-replace-line-judge.html)

Insane Blue Wed Sep 17, 2014 03:28pm

Proper way to replace line Judge

What is the proper way to replace the lines judge during a match?

Does R1 inform R2 to have it done or should R1 come down and request that the Coach to provide replacements?

oldsetter Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:00am

357 magnum or colt 45 :D

Actually, I have never replaced a line judge on almost 3000 matches.

timasdf Wed Sep 24, 2014 01:46am

As oldsetter alluded, be very slow to replace a LJ.

If they are players from one of the other teams, keep in mind that many don't want to have LJ duty.

Some are shrewd enough to intentionally make incorrect calls (or no-calls), in hopes that they will be replaced and can leave or sit with their friends.

Among my favorites is when the coach assigns LJs that don't pay attention, then make terrible in/out calls against their own team.

"Sorry coach, I didn't see it. We'll have to go with the LJ's call." :D

Insane Blue Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by timasdf (Post 940584)
As oldsetter alluded, be very slow to replace a LJ.

Among my favorites is when the coach assigns LJs that don't pay attention, then make terrible in/out calls against their own team.

"Sorry coach, I didn't see it. We'll have to go with the LJ's call." :D

I had quite a few go against the Home team where I was like they are your lines Judges.

but after 2 really horrible games they both had to be replaced. Numerous no calls as well as guessing on almost every call they made.

Everybody was on both LJ's after about the 3rd point it was that bad.

What I need to know is if I ever have this situation again what is the proper procedure for replacing them.

Robert E. Harrison Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:11am

Communication is the key to success.

When I do my pregame with the LJs I always thank them for their service and convey to them that in the event that I know an incorrect call has been made, I will correct/overrule the call and continue. I tell them we all make mistakes and it is not personal. I have never had a problem with this approach and most coaches appreciate it. Use your assistant to help out as well if you have one. I would suggest to the coach after the match that they select/train LJs better.

timasdf Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:22am

Exactly how to do this varies on the situation and venue.

You can briefly stop the match to consult with either the host administrator or the home coach, depending on the venue and situation. It's best to do this between sets or during a regular timeout, if possible.

If the coach provided the LJ (and he/she is complaining), it may also be worthwhile to ask them what they suggest about the LJ problem. They may be able to resolve it by telling the LJ to pay attention (if that is the problem), or they may say that they can replace with someone good.

Bottom line: The host admin or coach should be the one to make the replacement at your request. If they refuse or don't have a suitable replacement, you have even more of a situation on your hands. ;)

FMadera Wed Sep 24, 2014 02:31pm

It's really up to you how to replace them. You can wait until the home team's serve and do it. You can call the R2 over and have the coach do it during the next timeout. You can stop play and just do it right then and there.

There's no "by the book" way to do it, but understand that regardless of how you do it, it's not going to be easy.

oldsetter Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:32pm

And, you may already have the best LJ's they have already. :eek: