The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Ball Handling (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/97772-ball-handling.html)

SCalScoreKeeper Sat Apr 19, 2014 03:26pm

Ball Handling

I've been working a decent amount of club this season but I'm still having trouble recognizing doubles and lifts.Does anyone have any advice to help with this problem? My ball handling marks in hs camp were all pretty good but then the 1 match I worked as a HS R1 (a jv match) my partner thought I let my setters get away with murder.
Thanks everyone

FMadera Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:14am

Are you following the flight of the ball, or are you getting ahead to the setter's hands? If you're following the flight of the ball, I'd urge you to learn to recognize the trajectory and speed of the ball off of each contact to get ahead to where the ball will be. When you get ahead to that next point of contact, your relaxed eyes will make things much easier for you to see.

You probably should also watch a match with experienced officials to see what they call. You might learn how certain violations look. In addition, you might want to videotape a match you work and have someone watch it to show you specifically which balls should have been called (or not). There are good officials camps out there where you can have your matches recorded and clips given to you for educational purposes.

oldsetter Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:08pm

Mr. Madera is spot on again. Watching other officials at all levels will give you a better understanding. Keep in mind there is a very wide range of ball handling when it comes to officials: from all bad passes are illegal to if you can't see it in the cheap seats - play on. The best you can do is try to not be an outlying data point. Read the guidelines for ball handling and remember it is more art than science. Remember 4 out of 10 officials agree on the legality of contacts. ;)

Sco53 Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02pm

I find myself having difficulty at times watching the ball handling of the libero setting overhead when they are close to the 3 meter line. I want to see the feet but it distracts my look at the hands and I find myself calling based on the spin, which I don't like to do. I am guessing that i should trust my R-2 more than I have been. Any other techniques to see both parts?

oldsetter Tue Apr 22, 2014 09:52pm

Pre-game...R2, you watch the feet, I'll watch the hands. Also, use broader vision, don't zoom into the hands looking for a micro-double. that helps me.

Antonio.King Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsetter (Post 932448)
Pre-game...R2, you watch the feet, I'll watch the hands. Also, use broader vision, don't zoom into the hands looking for a micro-double. that helps me.

I hate hearing that: "you watch the feet, I'll watch the hands". It's too easy to blame the other person for not watching their "responsible" area when something is missed.

Because things with illegal attacks, illegal blocks can happy quickly, both referees are allowed to whistle these attacks if it happens.

You both should be watching everything that's within your area of responsibility.

Sco53 Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio.King (Post 932449)
I hate hearing that: "you watch the feet, I'll watch the hands". It's too easy to blame the other person for not watching their "responsible" area when something is missed.

Because things with illegal attacks, illegal blocks can happy quickly, both referees are allowed to whistle these attacks if it happens.

You both should be watching everything that's within your area of responsibility.

That's what I thought- maybe I can get off the feet a bit quicker to get to the hands. Tougher for me when the libero is close to the stand.

oldsetter Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sco53 (Post 932492)
That's what I thought- maybe I can get off the feet a bit quicker to get to the hands. Tougher for me when the libero is close to the stand.

Yes, we try to see both. I don't have a problem unless I am blocked by a player. It is fairly standard to have the r2 'help' on the 3 meter line while the R2 focuses on the ball handling...not precluding the R1 watching the line as well. It is much less likely for the R1 to not see the ball handling. that is the the intent.