The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Scorekeeper horror stories

Anyone have any scorekeeper horror stories or disasters yet? In my match Wednesday night the Libero tracker had a hard time with the double switch.So much so that we had 5 or 6 delays where the R2 had to clean up the sheet.Only about 5 minutes on each incident but still took flow away from the match.
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 02:06pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
So much for the home school providing adequate training for our support officials.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm back at this school on Tuesday to call lines for them.Hopefully they'll clean it up by then.If not I'm at the school (which will go unnamed) 7 times to call lines this year and those will be some long matches.School I was at last night as an R2 had exceptional support officials.
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Anyone have any scorekeeper horror stories or disasters yet? In my match Wednesday night the Libero tracker had a hard time with the double switch.So much so that we had 5 or 6 delays where the R2 had to clean up the sheet.Only about 5 minutes on each incident but still took flow away from the match.
First HS assignment of the season last week. FR, JV, V matches. Get ready to start the FR match when I discover that the scorekeeper is a teacher at the school that has never kept a VB scorebook before. I ask him if he has at least had some training or watched somebody do it, he says yes and that he feels confident. OK...here we go. I am R2. After the third time in the first set that he buzzed and told me that we had an incorrect server (we didn't any of the times), I pretty much told him to just keep a running score and make sure that the scoreboard was right.

I will give him credit though, by the time we got into the V match, he was doing OK....I guess he just needed some repetition....
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I had basketball scoring experience when I jumped into volleyball scoring.The only new things to me were tracking rotations and tracking substitutions.That scoring job is what led me to become an official.Andy-how are tripleheaders assigned where you are? Here Varsity R1 and R2 work on their own for the JV and Freshman,then come together for varsity.Varsity R1 works JV while Varsity R2 works Freshman.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 10:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

I worked a high school match last week in which the current JV head coach (formerly the Varsity head coach) kept score and had NO idea what she was doing. It seemed to be going fine, with only a couple minor delays (10-15 seconds), until. . .

22-10 in the first set the R2 signals me to hold off on the serve. He bends over to discuss the scoresheet with the scorer. After what seemed like 15 minutes (it was probably closer to 4), he comes over to me to tell me that she had messed up some of the substitutions and now the team on the floor didn't match the scoresheet.

I knew that the team on the floor was correct and in the correct rotation, because they'd only subbed twice in the set. I told him that and he went back to try to figure out what was wrong. He then tried to bring players off the bench to match the sheet. The team tried to tell him that the players weren't supposed to be on the court. After another lengthy period of time, I called him over and said, "I don't care what you have to do, just make the sheet match the team on the floor and let's finish this set".

Which is what we did. The rest of the match (5 sets, of course) was rocky, but he paid much closer attention to the scorer for the rest of the match, so delays were more frequent than they should have been, but thankfully short after that.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
....Andy-how are tripleheaders assigned where you are? Here Varsity R1 and R2 work on their own for the JV and Freshman,then come together for varsity.Varsity R1 works JV while Varsity R2 works Freshman.
Most of our assignments for HS play are two officials for FR, JV, V. In the last couple of years, however, we have had an influx of new VB officials (something to do with it being "easy money" ). So more and more assignments are with 1 new official and 1 experienced official on the FR and/or JV matches, with a second experienced official coming in for the JV and/or V matches.

Personally, my work (real job) situation doesn't always allow me to be available for a 4 pm FR match.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2013, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

That's me this year.When I'm not calling lines (we have one school that requested officials as line judges for their home matches) I'm paired with an experienced varsity official on some small school varsity matches as an R2.I'm an R1 for 1 JV match and a handful of Jr High matches (All Jr High here is assigned as 1 person). My match last Thursday had a great table crew-Mom was the official scorer,Dad was the libero tracker,and 10 (guessing) yr old son ran the clock and scoreboard.

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Mon Sep 16, 2013 at 11:49am.