The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 08:20pm
Lighten up, Francis.

JV matches in MA

This year in MA, our JV matches will be 3 sets regardless of the outcome of the first two sets. There will be no coin flip between the 2nd and 3rd set and the teams will simply change sides of the court. The 3rd set will be played to 15 points, but the teams will not change sides when one team reaches 8 points.

Anybody else using a similar procedure?
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

We use a similar format for our high school JV matches. Always play 3 sets, coin toss if necessary, set to 15, no changing of sides at mid-point. If the third set is a deciding set, the home team gets the call at the coin toss with choice of side, serve, or receive. We are in Berks County, Pennsylvania
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavbref View Post
We use a similar format for our high school JV matches. Always play 3 sets, coin toss if necessary, set to 15, no changing of sides at mid-point. If the third set is a deciding set, the home team gets the call at the coin toss with choice of side, serve, or receive. We are in Berks County, Pennsylvania
Our Middle School volleyball does similar - except that there is only a coin toss if the 3rd game determines the outcome.

They also have a 45 min. play rule which means if the 3rd game ends before 45 minutes of total play time has expired, we go to a 4th game as well.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump View Post
Our Middle School volleyball does similar - except that there is only a coin toss if the 3rd game determines the outcome.

They also have a 45 min. play rule which means if the 3rd game ends before 45 minutes of total play time has expired, we go to a 4th game as well.
Extra pay?
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Here in NYS, which generally goes by NCAA , our 6th/7th/8th grade level is called 'modiifed', and used to be just a straight 3 sets, no decider or anything.

Last year, to save on traveling, they went locally to a different format of having each two teams play each other only once, and then have that be a double 3 set match. Again, no deciders, and we get a touch under a double match fee.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

I can see refs slowing the pace down at 42 minutes. Official time out! I think the score is wrong.