The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 14, 2012, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

A disagreement with my partner last night

NFHS rules. My partner is R1 and I am R2. Partner beckons for serve and after the beckoning whistle but before the ball is contacted, the coach for the serving team requests a lineup check as he realizes he has the wrong server. I believe this request should be accepted as the ball is not live until it is contacted by the server. My partner believes this request should be denied, as the serve has already been called for. Who is right ??
Old Fri Sep 14, 2012, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I think I have to agree with your partner, once the signal for serve has been made everything is "locked" until the ball is contacted. Sure players can move if they catch themselves or what ever, but I don't think we can have a lineup check after the signal for serve. Let's play devils advocate, would you allow a substitution after the signal for serve? Or a libero replacement? Or a time out? Seems to me a lineup check is in line with all of these that are also not allowed once the signal for serve has been given.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2012, 04:49pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Ya gotta know your rules, guys!

Per Rule 8-1-6:
Quote:
... after the first referee’s signal for service, no requests, e.g., time-out, service order, lineup, substitution, libero replacement, etc., may be recognized until after the ball has been served.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sat Sep 15, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
Ya gotta know your rules, guys!

Per Rule 8-1-6:
The way I read 8-1-6 is that it applies to a reserve and not an original turn of service.

The rules I feel apply are 6-4-6 "A request for the teams serving order may be made by that teams coach or captain while the ball is dead." and 9-3-1 "A live ball is in play from the moment is legally contacted by the correct server until a dead ball occurs". Since the ball was dead when the lineup check was requested, as it was requested before contact by the server, shouldn't this request be allowed ?? I agree that common sense would figure it should not, but I cannot find a rule stating such.
Old Sat Sep 15, 2012, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
The way I read 8-1-6 is that it applies to a reserve and not an original turn of service.

The rules I feel apply are 6-4-6 "A request for the teams serving order may be made by that teams coach or captain while the ball is dead." and 9-3-1 "A live ball is in play from the moment is legally contacted by the correct server until a dead ball occurs". Since the ball was dead when the lineup check was requested, as it was requested before contact by the server, shouldn't this request be allowed ?? I agree that common sense would figure it should not, but I cannot find a rule stating such.
From page 33 of the current NFHS case book (you could replace the word substitution with lineup check, service order, or time-out... they're all requests):

10.1.2 SITUATION: During a set, the coach requests a substitution: (a) before the first referee signals for the serve; (b) after the first referee signals for the serve, but before the server’s contact with the ball; (c) after contact has been made with the serve.

RULING: (a) legal, substitution permitted, (b) and (c) coach’s request is ignored and play continues.

Last edited by bbsbvb83; Sat Sep 15, 2012 at 02:02pm.