The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   A disagreement with my partner last night (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/92397-disagreement-my-partner-last-night.html)

REFANDUMP Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:24am

A disagreement with my partner last night

NFHS rules. My partner is R1 and I am R2. Partner beckons for serve and after the beckoning whistle but before the ball is contacted, the coach for the serving team requests a lineup check as he realizes he has the wrong server. I believe this request should be accepted as the ball is not live until it is contacted by the server. My partner believes this request should be denied, as the serve has already been called for. Who is right ??

DaveASA/FED Fri Sep 14, 2012 03:36pm

I think I have to agree with your partner, once the signal for serve has been made everything is "locked" until the ball is contacted. Sure players can move if they catch themselves or what ever, but I don't think we can have a lineup check after the signal for serve. Let's play devils advocate, would you allow a substitution after the signal for serve? Or a libero replacement? Or a time out? Seems to me a lineup check is in line with all of these that are also not allowed once the signal for serve has been given.

MCBear Fri Sep 14, 2012 04:49pm

Ya gotta know your rules, guys!

Per Rule 8-1-6:
Quote:

... after the first referee’s signal for service, no requests, e.g., time-out, service order, lineup, substitution, libero replacement, etc., may be recognized until after the ball has been served.

REFANDUMP Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBear (Post 854556)
Ya gotta know your rules, guys!

Per Rule 8-1-6:

The way I read 8-1-6 is that it applies to a reserve and not an original turn of service.

The rules I feel apply are 6-4-6 "A request for the teams serving order may be made by that teams coach or captain while the ball is dead." and 9-3-1 "A live ball is in play from the moment is legally contacted by the correct server until a dead ball occurs". Since the ball was dead when the lineup check was requested, as it was requested before contact by the server, shouldn't this request be allowed ?? I agree that common sense would figure it should not, but I cannot find a rule stating such.

bbsbvb83 Sat Sep 15, 2012 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFANDUMP (Post 854609)
The way I read 8-1-6 is that it applies to a reserve and not an original turn of service.

The rules I feel apply are 6-4-6 "A request for the teams serving order may be made by that teams coach or captain while the ball is dead." and 9-3-1 "A live ball is in play from the moment is legally contacted by the correct server until a dead ball occurs". Since the ball was dead when the lineup check was requested, as it was requested before contact by the server, shouldn't this request be allowed ?? I agree that common sense would figure it should not, but I cannot find a rule stating such.

From page 33 of the current NFHS case book (you could replace the word substitution with lineup check, service order, or time-out... they're all requests):

10.1.2 SITUATION: During a set, the coach requests a substitution: (a) before the first referee signals for the serve; (b) after the first referee signals for the serve, but before the server’s contact with the ball; (c) after contact has been made with the serve.

RULING: (a) legal, substitution permitted, (b) and (c) coach’s request is ignored and play continues.