The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

New to VB officiating

Hello: I am new to officiating VB (longtime FB and BB official) and will start by working the middle school levels and fill in as needed. I have been working the rule book and observing officials at tournaments. Other advice will be appreciated as I get started. Thanks.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Buck,

Try and spend some time at the table observing how a good R2 administers the match. As a baseball umpire moving into VB, I found the R2 job much harder to learn than the R1 job. Like you, I understood how to "see" the play and make a call, but efficiently managing substitutions and the table took longer to get.

Learn how scorekeeping is done properly. It's not unusual for the referees to give scorkeeping and libero tracking lessons before a high school match when the student managers don't have a clue.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2012, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I agree! One of the best ways to observe and learn the game is by keeping the scorebook.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2012, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I was a scorekeeper for 3 years and couldn't agree more.The game looks different from up there and that's how I gained an love for the game.