The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to DncnRef Send a message via AIM to DncnRef
Question

Having read and reread the last three case books on re-serve (NFHS 8.1.5) I have a simple question for all of you:
After the signal for serve the player bounces the ball a few times and looks to the coach for direction, noticing that the coach is busy, the player just stands there. Just before the 5 seconds is up the player looks at me and drops the ball to the floor. Should I give the player their one and only re-serve or should I whistle the 5 seconds and move on?

If you have several of the older case books please read situation 2 carefully and then give me your best answer. You may also "quote" the case books if you like. Also, find the word "toss" in the rule book for me, okay?
Bob
Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Reserves

I think the key is "releases the ball for serve".

If the drop appears a legitimate release for serve, a reserve should be allowed. That could involve a toss but with an underhanded server, that could just involve a drop from the extended arm position.

I'd be inclined to give the server the benefit of the doubt in this sort of situation and award the reserve unless the ball was clearly not released for serve. The server obtains no real or unfair advantage by getting the reserve. The five second rule is really just to keep the game moving along.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2002, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC

the key is "attempt to serve"

Simply dropping the ball, or tossing the ball in the air above ones head is not an attempt to serve. It has to be a legitimate attempt to serve the ball. One thing i look for is usually where the player is looking. I always have a situation where the player is looking at me and not the ball while he/she drops the ball in front of them. To me , thats a sign of delay that i dont tolerate