The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Back Row Attack Question (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/54528-back-row-attack-question.html)

wildcatksu Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:11am

Back Row Attack Question

I coach junior high and am pretty new to coaching. We run a 6-2 and our setter this year is pretty tiny and can not jump very high. Can she put the ball over the net if the ball is not above the net if she jumps? According to the rules I read the ball must be above the height of the net.

I usually tell my setters not to jump because they have all been taller but this year with a short girl we were called for it. Amazing that my tall setters that really do back row attack by accident very rarely get called but the smaller girl did.

Andy Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:53am

I will comment based on NFHS rules, which is the only ruleset that I am familiar with.

Your reading of the rule is correct. In order for a back row attack to be called, the ball must be entirely above the height of the net when the back row player contacts it and completes the attack. Whether or not the back row player jumps has no bearing on the rule.

That being said, it is entirely a judgement call on the part of the official and it can be difficult to judge exactly where the ball is in relation to the net from the officials stand looking down. Speaking only for myself, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the defensive team and make the call. The reason that a back row setter is used is to have three legal hitters in the front row. If the violation is not called, it creates the advantage of having a fourth hitter for the offensive team.

I will also say, that since you are coaching JH, you may see a lot of new and/or inexperienced officials. One of the things that newer officials tend to struggle with is keeping track of which players are front row and which are back row. That could be a reason why you did not see your taller setters called for the violation in the past.

FMadera Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcatksu (Post 623478)
I coach junior high and am pretty new to coaching. We run a 6-2 and our setter this year is pretty tiny and can not jump very high. Can she put the ball over the net if the ball is not above the net if she jumps? According to the rules I read the ball must be above the height of the net.

I usually tell my setters not to jump because they have all been taller but this year with a short girl we were called for it. Amazing that my tall setters that really do back row attack by accident very rarely get called but the smaller girl did.

There is no rule under any volleyball rule set in which the difference between legal and illegal is whether or not a player jumped. None.

Your interpretation is correct.

wildcatksu Wed Sep 02, 2009 01:00pm

Thanks. I know most girls will grow so I try to encourage them to stay on their feet as most can not get above the net with their hands even when they finish growing.

The R2 called the foul so I am not sure what view she had because there is no way this girl topped the net.