The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

When is hair contact a contact?

Curious minds wants to know NFHS, NCAA, USAV.

"Let them play" guidelines are applied.

Hair contact doesn't count at block for all. Hair contact doesn't apply to net or opponent's court.

How are these treated?
1) Visible hair contact on (non-blocking) player and ball goes out of bounds. Touch or no touch?

2) Setter makes visible hair contact with ball on overhand setting, in effect two separate contacts are clearly seen. Double fault or not?
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

As it was explained to me: The uniform is part of the body, the hair is not.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
1. No touch
2. Not
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 05:20pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
The hair can be a difficult thing to call but usually we don't see these types of plays. Things tend to go off the head rather than be seen as touching the hair.

In (1), if the ball HITS the hair and the head and deflects out of bounds, it is a touch. However, if it just touches the hair without a deflection, it is NOT a touch. Fun, huh?

In (2), it would not be a double, play on.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Back In The Saddle, that would be the first time I hear about that. I've always been told that the hair and anything in it is part of the body as well as the uniform and any sleeves or loose strings. It has been (over ten) years, though. Times have changed...Only within the last few years, have I been convinced that sleevless, collarless, and nylon spandex uniforms have their more advantages by evasion of ball contact. I've also changed my recommendation to braided hair rather than the up pony tails which were the major offenders of hair contacts.

Jan, there's no doubt to me when a ball gets deflected off the head. When the ball merely grazes the hair and you see hair dancing in the air and the player didn't make an evasion attempt, it's easy to determine a 'no touch' judgment. Problem mostly comes when a player is ducking to evade a ball and it catches their hair. Many times in those situation there is visible ball slow down after hair contact. Not as obvious as a delfection. I will change my contact calls to a more lenient judgment.

"Let them play" guidelines is a challenge to my own volleyball fundamentals. It's hard to let the 'coach' in me accept things on the court.

Last edited by OmniSpiker; Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 12:49pm.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

It was obviously a generalization, and MCBear has expanded on it appropriately. But here's the two relevant cites from NFHS rules. Other rule sets may be different, I don't know.

NFHS 9-4-1: A contact is any touch of the ball by a player (excluding the player’s loose hair).

NFHS 9-6-7: A net foul occurs while the ball is in play and:
a. A player contacts any part of the net including net cables or net antennas. It is not a foul when a player’s loose hair touches the net, or the force of a ball hit by an opponent pushes the net or net cables into the player.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 06:27pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Very nicely done. BITS! Good Job!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)