The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 11:15am
#thereferee99

Coupla questions from a 2nd year...

Question 1:

When a ball is hit towards an unplayable area... say, over the scorers table. Do you whistle play dead upon entry into this area ("breaking the plane"), or wait until the ball makes contact with the area?

(I ask because I have received conflicting 'approaches' to this)

Question 2:

Why would I be told by a veteran official that it is not a violation to contact the net outside of the poles? I think someone told me that last year and then again yesterday. My rules book says that it is a foul to contact the net , the poles, or support wires, with no distinction for whether it is outside the poles. Did this rule change at some point?
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
1. Since a player can play a ball over nonplayable area if the player is in playable area, it's not a good idea to blow the ball dead until it contacts non-playable area. You'll get burned someday blowing the whistle too soon.

2. Do you mean outside the antennas? I'm not sure there is net outside the poles...

If you mean antennas, the net is the net all the way, not just antenna to antenna.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Felix is right. Let it hit.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 06:31pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
referee99, as Felix and rev said, let the ball hit. That way there is no doubt that the ball was dead because it was in the non-playable area.

(2) Your veteran may have been thinking USAV rules where it is not a net foul to contact the cables outside the antenna or to contact the net if the player is not involved in playing the ball. In NFHS rules, however, a net is a net is a net. You cited the correct NFHS rule in your post. Always make sure that you know which rules code you are discussing.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)