The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Another use for net measuring tool

Ok the last thread about pulling your chain, or stretching the chain made me think about this. I was working with an experienced official and he took his net measuring chain and hung it right next to the antenna and used it as a plumb bob to see if the antenna was aligned with the outer portion of the side line and also to see if the antenna was running straight with relationship with the net. It was one of the those MAJOR DUH moments to me....never even crossed my mind to do that, but it worked slicker than heck! It was amazing how far off an antenna that looked good eyeballing it actually was!

So I ask do any of you have secret tricks like this one?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=DaveASA/FED]Ok the last thread about pulling your chain, or stretching the chain made me think about this. I was working with an experienced official and he took his net measuring chain and hung it right next to the antenna and used it as a plumb bob to see if the antenna was aligned with the outer portion of the side line and also to see if the antenna was running straight with relationship with the net. It was one of the those MAJOR DUH moments to me....never even crossed my mind to do that, but it worked slicker than heck! It was amazing how far off an antenna that looked good eyeballing it actually was!

I usually just "eyeball" it.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

not secret, and not mine, but I use it. When I check the balls before a match, I try to mark each with the same kind of ink marking. It needs to be small, so that the ball doesn't become a mess by year end..... then if the ball gets tossed in with some other balls, or rolls to another court and someone starts practice serving it, we can identify this as one of the game balls without having to re-test it.

I typically try to fill in an 'e'. 'o'. or 'a' in the writing around the stem, just so I know which one.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 03:09pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Marking game balls

After I have gaged the game balls, I put a small letter "G" around the air inlet so that I know by looking which balls have been checked.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Retrozetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrrller87
When I check the balls before a match, I try to mark each with the same kind of ink marking... then if the ball gets tossed in with some other balls, or rolls to another court and someone starts practice serving it, we can identify this as one of the game balls without having to re-test it.
I use the net chain to align the antenna, I also mark the ball(s). Here's a few more:
A. In my pre-matches, I tell the LJ's that there are 4 outcomes to a rally: 1) In, 2) Out, 3) Touch, or 4) I didn't see... I stress that "I didn't see" is acceptable and "guessing" is totally unacceptable... it helps.
B. In most matches, I mentally keep track of the score. Especially if another team is the support crew on a youth court... trust me, catching an inaccurate scoreboard "before" the parents quiets them for the rest of the match, and has saved me countless minutes of "clean-up" because a few times it was wrong because the scorekeeper had also forgotten to record the previous point... huge time-saving trick!
C. With no ball shaggers, at the end of each "game" I look to see where the game ball bounced to, so that it can be retrieved for the next game instead of wasting time trying to find it or replace it.
D. I keep a cornucopia of whistles in my bag... inevitably, I'm using the same whistle as both refs on either side of me; therefore the players get confused... so I switch out to a different whistle (sound) for my court's benefit.
Hope this helps.
Not just a sponge for the rules, but for the philosophies behind the rules.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

I add a secret sign for LJ's

When I meet with LJ's I give them a secret sign:

"If you are not sure, take your left hand, make it into a fist with the thumb on top of the fingers, then flick your thumb in the air."

"If you think I didn't see the sign then mouth the words "flip a --"

If they don't use flags, I give them a big set of signals to use:

1. If they don't know, Cover their eyes
2. If they didn't hear it, cover their ears,
3. If they heard the coach yell at them cover their mouth,
4. If they don't like my overrule, hold their nose, and I then run them from the gym....