The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 06, 2001, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Question

In reading the NFHS rulebook this season, (My first full season as a head coach), I can't find specific information on what constitutes a lift or a carry. I have played for years and know what these are, but the officials we have in our area often do not. How do I explain them when they are not in the rule book? Also, is it legal to attack a ball with two separated hands as long as the contact is simultaneous? I had an official argue with me on this during an officials' training session, and I want to be sure I am on the right side of things when I discuss this with my team. I had always understood that players could not carry out a two handed attack without finger action. Am I incorrect on this? Please elucidate!
Old Mon Aug 06, 2001, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

You will not find a "true" definition of an illegal hit, because it lies in the judgement of the official.

The books directs us to not allow the ball to come to rest or be redirected in a manner that causes prolonged contact.

So how does this help you? Probably not a whole lot on the definition, but you will need to get to "know" your local officials. Some - like me- call a "looser" game preferred by the USVB. Other call a "tighter" game like the fed prefers. The only way you can judge the official as being "right" or "wrong" is by their consistency. If they let a hit go once, they should always let it go. Remember that some hits do take us by surprise. I'll be up on the stand thinking why didn't someone call that illegal, oh wait, I call that?!?!? Consistency is the key. Remember this though : Ugly does not mean bad. There are many hits that will make you cringe, but are legal.

As far as a two handed attack, this again is up to the official. If it is a "dump" off a block or a result of a weak attack by the other team, I'll let it go if it does not look like prolonged contact or multple hits. This is where the two handed attacks go wrong. They might not be "illegal" but there are multiple hits.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Brian...

The two handed attack I was referring to was a two handed downward hit (like a spike, but with two hands),that took place on an overpass. It was nowhere near a dump or any other "legal" maneuver.