The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

I am up official. NFHS JV high school match.
I am watching play at the net for spike and block and CLEARLY see the blocker contact the net. By clearly, I mean she had both hands on top of the net and pulled it down slightly in her attempt to block. Play continued on and I kept waiting for my partner to call the net violation. I wanted to make the call myself and hesitated because I felt I shouldn't overrule my partner's non-call. I left the net play and followed the ball til the point ended. The coach asked the umpire if he had seen the net violation. He made no reply and I heard her again ask him. He again made no reply. The coach then let it go.
What is the proper protocol for this type of situation?
I don't want to overrule my partners - or get that reputation among other officials.
But I do want to do the right thing.

Thanks in advance.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Not sure on NFHS guidance, but here is what I was instructed by a national level official.

If you as R1/referee see the net violation, blow your whistle. Give your partner time to lead on the signal, hoping they are making eye contact with you and realizing they should call the net. If they don't pick up on your hint, lead the net signal. But blow the play dead quickly if your partner does not.

Ideally your umpire/R2 should make the net call, but if you see it, it's ok to blow the whistle on that particular call.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 10:42pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
tony, volleyball is not like other sports where you are responsible for a zone, or an area. In volleyball there are calls that either official can make - the net call on the spike is one of them. As the Referee, I would wait just a second or two to see if my umpire is going to call the net violation or not. If there is no call from my partner, I am going to whistle, signal the net violation and show the coach the number of the offending player.

Bottom line is that we make the correct call.

Felix, what you were told applies to NFHS as well as USAV and NCAA.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Tony,

I agree with Felix & Jan. The situation you describe can sometimes be difficult for the R2 to see the net contact, R1 often has a better view. The important thing is to get it right.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 10:56am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Thanks, Toolman! It is always good to get your feedback and input. Have a great season.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Note as well that under the Rule Book, net fouls are the proper responsibility of BOTH officials.

Rule 5-3-3.c.9 gives the referee authority to "determine net fouls".

Rule 5-4-3.b. gives the umpire authority to "determine net fouls on both sides of the net."

The referee has a much better view of net fouls which occur near the referee stand on the ref's side of the net than does the umpire. Indeed, with as many as three players standing/jumping/running around between the umpire and the player committing the net foul, the violation may well not be visible to the umpire.

If you see it, call it. And I see no particular need to wait on the umpire before signaling the call - the umpire might not have seen it and if you coax the umpire into making the first signal on a foul s/he didn't see, what's his response when the coach says, "Which number, ref?"

"Ask the up-ref, I didn't see it" hardly seems a proper response.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Well, you've received the philosophy and the rule book reference. I agree with everything said so far and add this:

You mentioned that the blocker contacted the top of the net. It's very possible that your partner may have been focusing on the blocker's body as she was coming down or on her feet to make sure that she landed without crossing the center line. As a down official, I will start to transition my focus to the botttom half of the net and the feet shortly after the attack. It's easier for me, on the floor, to see the contact with the body on the bottom part of the net and, of course, the feet on the floor. The referee, on the stand, has to follow the ball. Often, I will miss contact with the top part of the net. The referee needs to make that call if the R2 does not blow his/her whistle after a short pause. Just remember, if you make the call, you should be able to tell the coach which player was in the net.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm the R I always tell the U to "call anything you see that I miss." For instance, while you aren't going to get many illegal hit calls from the floor, there could be a time when the girl's back is to you and you don't see it. It's about getting the calls right as often as possible, not about egos.