The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   White Polo VB Official's Shirt (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/21469-white-polo-vbulletin-officials-shirt.html)

imaref Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:24am

Any recommendations on where you veteran's are purchasing your white polo shirts from. Pocket or Pocketless? Long sleeve or short sleeve.....or both?

Thanks!

MCBear Tue Jul 26, 2005 03:31pm

I purchase short-sleeve plain white (without any type of logo) pocketless polo shirts at Wal-Mart or K-Mart or any other place where I can find them relatively inexpensively.

If I have to wear the "Certified Volleyball Official" shirt, I get mine from Roof Sportswear in Downey, CA.

Andy Tue Jul 26, 2005 04:51pm

For the plain shirts, you can't beat Wal-Mart, at least that I've found. I prefer the short sleeve with pocket, I like to keep my red/yellow cards in the pocket for easy access. :)

FMadera Tue Jul 26, 2005 06:15pm

Old Navy is where I got my white polos for high school officiating.

refnrev Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:21pm

Got mine at JC Penneys. A little thicker and whiter than at the discount stores with a slightly longer cut, and a very good price when on sale. I don't like the shirts with pockets, but that is strictly a matter of personal taste.

Chess Ref Tue Aug 16, 2005 08:01am

White Shoes ?

Why do umpires in California have to look like Felix Unger ? My wife , who is a member in good standing in the Dork's / Nerds Club of America, just can't stop with the fencing jokes, Felix Unger jokes. i mean it looks pretty funny,

i am assuming there is a reason for the white shoes but I can't think of it.

varefump Tue Aug 16, 2005 08:08am

White shoes? What's up with that?
I hope we're not talking National Federation matches.

officialtony Tue Aug 16, 2005 08:15am

White shirts & white Socks and shoes

In Ohio we are required to wear the OHSAA logo on our white Volleyball shirts, so I buy mine from Flemmings online.
Also in Ohio, we are allowed to wear black shorts for NFHS matches - thus we wear white shoes and white socks, black shorts, and the OHSAA volleyball white shirt. Doesn't look too bad with the black shorts. I wouldn't want to wear white shoes with black slacks, however.

Chess Ref Tue Aug 16, 2005 08:37am

White Shoes-Yes LOL

Yes this is for NFHS matches. The uniform in our area of California, Sacramento area, is white polo shirt, navy blue slacks and White shoes/white socks. One of the Assoc. leaders had it on at the meeting last night-and it was painful. I am starting to jones for my orange leisure suit I had in junior high.

officialtony Tue Aug 16, 2005 08:48am

Navy Blue - not NFHS?

Since your association has opted for Navy Blue slacks, which is not NFHS prescribed, why not opt for black shoes as well? In Ohio we have adopted the Black shorts as acceptable for NFHS matches and have no problem with that decision with the NFHS.
I would think if you have decided to go with Navy slacks instead of Black, you could also go with Black shoes instead of White.
I don't see why someone couldn't propose that.
Just food for thought.

" orange leisure suit "? Stylin' . . . . .

FMadera Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:35am

The reason for the white shoes/socks combo with navy is simple: that's what USAV and NCAA officials wear. They obviously are trying to stay consistent with the other major rulesets used in the USA.

Andy Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:12am

Here in Arizona, up until this year, we have worn the white polo shirt with the Arizona Interscholastic Association emblem, black slacks, and white socks and shoes. Yes...it looks funny....

This year we have switched to black socks and shoes....thank God!

Vb Scrub Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:42am

IMHO, the white shoes look better with the navy blue slacks. The black shoes look cheesy. Solid black shoes are for meetings not sporting events.

imaref Tue Aug 16, 2005 01:03pm

hey....wait a minute. i wear black shoes for basketball.

back to volleyball. in wisconsin, we get an option when we wear black shorts....we wear white socks and shoes. (i am also aware of several officials who, when wearing black shorts will wear black shoes with white socks.) fashion police, so far, have not noticed any officials wearing black socks when wearing white shoes.

"oh the humanity of it all!"

MCBear Tue Aug 16, 2005 01:12pm

The reason that we in California wear white polo shirt, navy blue slacks with black or blue belt, all white leather shoes and white socks is 5-2-1 NOTE: "By state high school association adoption, officials uniforms may be modified." The CIF has opted to remain with the uniform that we have worn for many years.

When I refereed in Ohio and Michigan for ten years, I always wore white shoes and white socks with my black pants and black & white striped shirt. For me, it was a way to differentiate my uniform from what I wore to referee basketball.