The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Test Questions-NF (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/21363-test-questions-nf.html)

devdog69 Mon Jul 18, 2005 08:05pm

There are some questions I need directed towards the right rules, I would appreciate some help.

#32 insignificantly touching the net is still a foul in NF right? I know NCAA is changing.

#56 Replay shall be declared when ther is a double foul.
Does it matter that the rule book says 'double foul during a live ball'?

#62 When determining a back-row attack the official considers the position of the ball in reference to the top of the net. I'm thinking false because you also need to know where the feet where prior to the attack, but am I thinking to much here?

#92 Prior to each game the scorer shall provide the umpire with written lineups of the teams. Seems like common sense but I can't find it specifically in the rules.

Thanks for the help. Devon.

devdog69 Mon Jul 18, 2005 08:45pm

oh yeah and
#84 play should continue if the center front reaches over the net, makes no contact with the ball, but touches the ball after it has left the setter's hand.
I'm saying false but can't find it in the book.

FMadera Tue Jul 19, 2005 03:16pm

Dev,

Don't read too much into the questions. :)

MCBear Tue Jul 19, 2005 03:47pm

devdog69,

#32 - 9-6-7-a.

#56 - don't overthink the scenario - 9-8-1-b.

#62 - there are other considerations such as whether the back-row player is directing the ball to a teammate and whether they are on or in front of the attack line, but it is one of the items that is considered in determining a back-row attack - 9-5-4.

#84 - 9-6-3 & 9-6-4.

#92 - 9-5-1-c, second complete sentence. OOPS! Should be 5-5-1-c (Thanks for catching this devdog!!)

Hope that is a help.

[Edited by MCBear on Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:18 AM]

devdog69 Tue Jul 26, 2005 07:21am

Quote:

Originally posted by MCBear
devdog69,

#32 - 9-6-7-a.

#56 - don't overthink the scenario - 9-8-1-b.

#62 - there are other considerations such as whether the back-row player is directing the ball to a teammate and whether they are on or in front of the attack line, but it is one of the items that is considered in determining a back-row attack - 9-5-4.

#84 - 9-6-3 & 9-6-4.

#92 - 9-5-1-c, second complete sentence.

Hope that is a help.

Thank you very much, those were very helpful. Funny how most of them were very obvious after just getting away from the test for a few days. I figured out on #92 you meant 5-5-1-c...Thanks again, Devon.

devdog69 Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:07am

#92 again...I know I'm probably just getting to analytical, but...5-5-1c says 'shall provide the umpire with lineups' The question says 'shall provide the umpire with WRITTEN lineups'. Does that make the question false?

FMadera Thu Aug 11, 2005 01:05pm

Dev,

How do you suppose the scorer gets the lineups?

MCBear Mon Aug 15, 2005 07:21pm

I received a copy of the Part I Proofing Copy as well as the rules references for the "correct" answers at our State Rules meeting this past Saturday. Finally able to check the answers that I submitted on my answer sheet, I find two possible errors:

#84 - the rule reference is to 9.6.3 Situation A in the Casebook (should be 9.6.3 Situation, since there is only one situation referencing that rule).

The problem , as I see it, is that the casebook situation has the CF on Team S reaching across the net, not contacting the ball, but contacting the setter's HAND. 9-6-3 in the rules book reads "A player shall not contact a ball which is completely on the opponent's side of the net unless the contact is a legal block."

This question on the test is ambiguous at best, IMO, because we do not know if the setter's contact is to be considered an attack hit or if it is the team's third contact. I felt that play should not continue because I had a reach-over (not knowing if the contact by the CF was a legal block or not) since we are not supposed to read anything else into the play.

#96 - the answer sheet references rule 9-4-5: "Legal contact is a touch of the ball by a player's body, above and including the waist which does not allow the ball to visibly come to rest or involve prolonged contach with a player's body." In this question, the ball is attacked by Team R and it bounces off a Team S player's head. I cannot find a foul within the context of the given play since the ball contacted the player above the waist (off the head) and it did not visibly come to rest or involve prolonged contact (it bounced).

I asked the intepreter what the foul was in this question and she couldn't determine it either. Hopefully this one will be corrected.

That's it for the really obvious ones that I found to disagree with.

Other than those two, I thought that question #1 was the only question that was really ambiguous and poorly worded because it references both "After the start of the match" and "to begin the match" in the same sentence (referring to when the state association determines a forfeit). With both of those references in the same question, it is difficult (if not impossible) to determine the correct answer.

I will say that this year's test is not too bad compared to some that we have had in the past where there were lots of ambiguities and mistakes.

refnrev Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:17pm

devdog,
#84 is one of the 2 questions on the test that were thrown out. If you put either true or false you won't have it counted against you. Of course, ff you left it blank you never had a chance anyway.

devdog69 Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by refnrev
devdog,
#84 is one of the 2 questions on the test that were thrown out. If you put either true or false you won't have it counted against you. Of course, ff you left it blank you never had a chance anyway.

I understand that each state has discretion on which questions to throw out? So, maybe it won't in my state? I'm not really sure about that...

refnrev Wed Aug 17, 2005 04:18pm

Hope they give you credit. If I remember correctly, #92 was the other one that Illinois threw out. RR

imaref Fri Aug 19, 2005 02:05pm

Additional test questions?

Well...a group of us got together to review our test and had some serious discussions over the following seven. Can anyone help us with listing the rule application reference to these. I've provided the answers we reached consensus on...however, not all were unanimous.

What say you all?

25 - F
27 - F
34 - F (Replay?)
59 - T
70 - T
81 - F
100 - T

MCBear Fri Aug 19, 2005 03:56pm

I am assuming that this is Part I?

imaref,

Here are the rule references you requested:

25 - F - the answer is F, reference 8-1-4 & 5
27 - F - the answer is T, reference 4-1-1
34 - F (Replay?) - the answer is F, reference 9.4.6 (most likely a replay)
59 - T - the answer is T, reference 9-5-4
70 - T - the answer is T, reference 11-2-2
81 - F - the answer is T, reference 9-4-8
100 - T - the answer is T (Legal), reference 10-2-2

Hopefully that is a help and will generate further discussion among your group.

imaref Fri Aug 19, 2005 07:47pm

Thanks MCBear!

Have a great season!

Are you a Santa Clara or Concord fan?

I marched with Racine Kilts, Cavaliers and Madison back in the day. Ended up judging M&M GE with Federation of Contest Judges back during the DCI Combine years and did Timing & Penalties when Corps were still affiliated with American Legions and VFWs....back in the day of inspections and flag presentations!

MCBear Fri Aug 19, 2005 08:00pm

imaref, actually, I am a Phantom Regiment and Glassmen fan (although I have loved Vanguard when they did "Phantom of the Opera" back in '88 and '89.

I became a Phantom phanatic when they pinwheeled into the concert stands on their closer playing "1812" during DCI North at Ypsilanti and then I got to hear their horn line play "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" between prelims and finals. I got goose bumps up and down my spine from the beauty of the sound! My favorite song is Phantom's rendition of "Amazing Grace". It is breath-taking (IMHO).

One of my favorite programs from Cavies is their "Cavalier Anthems - the Advent Collection" from the early 90's.

I lived close to Toledo, so when the Glassmen started building, I was started rooting for them.