The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have already started receiving my e-mails from assignors, commisioners, and fellow officials for contests for the 2005 season. What I have not received is my 2005 Rules Book. I am in Ohio, but does anyone know when the State Rules Books are sent out? I am anxious to see what ( if any ) rules changes have been apllied.
Also, I would like to know what steps other officials take to clear the cobwebs and start preparing mentally AND physically for the upcoming Volleyball season. I am still doing baseball/softball and feel like I am in good physical condition. Volleyball has different physical requirements than baseball/softball, however.
I am excited about the 2005 season, since the Libero is now fully accepted in Ohio ( I believe ). It will be interesting to see how many coaches teach the Libero concept and then use it.

Edited: Is there a web site that will address NFHS rules changes for 2005?
Thank You.

[Edited by officialtony on Jul 4th, 2005 at 10:19 AM]
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
The 2005 rule and case books are available on the NFHS website under the "Member Content" section of the main rules page.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 08:44am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Errors, we have errors

officialtony, just be aware that there are several errors and omissions in the 2005-06 NFHS Rules Book and even more of them in the NFHS 2005-06 Case Book and Manual. Hopefully, Felix, Ken Nelson, Rick Brown and I have caught them all and NFHS will publish the full list of corrections and clarifications shortly after the National Rules Interpreters Meeting in Indy later this month.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Thanks for the heads up on the books.
I am anxious to see them and prepare for 2005-06.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

MC Bear,
Is it going to be as bad as last year? I missed about 6or 7 questions on my part one test last year because the book was wrong. I sent it in in Illinois, then the next night went to a rules meeting in Indiana and realized I should have waited. We spent quite a bit time in the first part of the meeting making corrections in the books.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

OT,
We get them here in Illinois and Indiana about 6 weeks or so before the season starts. Do you have to take the Part One exam every year in Ohio?
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:16am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
The Rules Book isn't too bad...

There are only a few outright errors. The Case Book has some of the same errors that were present last year, but we will see what NFHS does with the list that Rick, Ken, Felix and I have provided to our state interpreters.

I ordered a Rules Book and Case Book/Manual from NFHS so that I would have it in hand to do the proof-reading. I will receive a copy from Ohio (where I am a retired official) during the month of August and I will get my copy from the Associations that I belong to in California when we have our first meetings the end of this month and next month.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)