The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I already posted this on a different forum, but I think it's nice to have lots of opinions, and I still don't entirely understand. In transition, I'm confused as to what's out of rotation before the serve actually happens. First, I'll explain the scenario: Three players are in the front row. Their team has the serve. The setter is on the left, the power in the middle, and the middle on the right. Preparing for transition, before the ball even goes over the net, the setter stands almost entirely behind the setter, except for her left foot which is the only thing technically still in the rotation (well, except maybe her ankle) Is it required for the player's entire body to be on the correct side, or will just a foot suffice? I've asked two coaches, Laura and Aisling. Laura said as long as the player's foot is still on the correct side, they're still in rotation. Aisling says your entire body needs to be on the correct side. Which one is it? Tell me if this doesn't make sense.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Laura is correct. "The position of the players is judged according to the location of their feet in contact with the team court at the time the ball is contacted for serve." That wording is from rule 10-3-1-a of the NCAA rule book. The rule is the same for USAV and NFHS rule sets.

Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reply! Do both your feet need to be on the correct side? Or just one?
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule 10-3-1a. In the front or back row, the right-side player must have at least part of one foot closer to the right sideline then the feet of the center player in the corresponding row, and the left-side player must have at least part of one foot closer to the left sideline than the feet of the center player in the corresponding row. Each front-row player must have at least part of one foot closer to the center line then the feet of the corresponding back-row player.

Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Thanks! I really appreciated the help.