The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 19, 2022, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Blocking Outside the Antenna

Can front row B1 block a ball that is on A's side of the net but is outside the antenna? Does it matter whether B's hands pass inside or outside the antenna?

In one particular play, team A had completed it's third hit and the ball was obviously going to pass outside the antenna, but before it did so, B reached over outside the antenna and caught the ball (why? I don't know.)

FED rules, if it matters (and I think it does)
Old Wed Sep 21, 2022, 11:19am
Lighten up, Francis.

It's a playable area. So as long as the ball hasn't passed completely outside the antenna, I'm going to say it's legal (although stupid) to play it. Continue play after the block.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2022, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
It's a playable area. So as long as the ball hasn't passed completely outside the antenna, I'm going to say it's legal (although stupid) to play it. Continue play after the block.
That's what I have -- is it illegal to reach (or to touch the ball) outside the antenna in other codes?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2022, 10:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

I'll have to check NCAA to be 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it's not a fault to play the ball outside the antenna (as long as you don't contact the antenna itself, obviously).

USAV still has a pursuit rule, so it's definitely legal to play outside the antenna.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2022, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'll have to check NCAA to be 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it's not a fault to play the ball outside the antenna (as long as you don't contact the antenna itself, obviously).

USAV still has a pursuit rule, so it's definitely legal to play outside the antenna.
I looked at an NCAA book last night (a couple of years old) and it's illegal in that code