The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 11, 2022, 10:18pm
Lighten up, Francis.

NCAA Men's Championship match

Did anybody see the Championship match last weekend?

Take a look at this play.

https://youtu.be/2JJFf8evDWs?t=5357

I was watching it live and didn't understand what was happening. This is a clear back row block that is missed. In fact, you can see the R1 signaling that the back row player was below the height of the net (which you'll see that he wasn't). But then the play is challenged. What did the Hawaii coach challenge??? You can't challenge whether the ball was above the height of the net. But the challenge is accepted and then is successful.

I had to watch it about 10 times to understand what happened. Thoughts/comments?
Old Thu May 12, 2022, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Here is what I believe happened: the original call was a net violation on Hawaii by the R2. The coach challenged that and the call was changed to a net violation on LB (the back row setter hit the net with his arm on the way down).
Old Thu May 12, 2022, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaref61 View Post
Here is what I believe happened: the original call was a net violation on Hawaii by the R2. The coach challenged that and the call was changed to a net violation on LB (the back row setter hit the net with his arm on the way down).
Agreed. The net was hit with the left arm as the setter spun around during his landing.

Thanks for sharing the clip
Old Fri May 13, 2022, 05:48am
Lighten up, Francis.

You guys figured it out much more quickly than I did. I was settling into a hotel room and only half paying attention. I missed the R2's original call, so when they went to replay, I thought they were reviewing whether the ball was above the height of the net on the back row block. That really confused me, because that's not reviewable.

Interesting sequence, though.