The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Another first for me! (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/105732-another-first-me.html)

Scrapper1 Wed May 11, 2022 08:54pm

Another first for me!

Today, I suspended a match. First for me. To make a very long story short, my R2 removed the student scorekeeper during a HS match and the home coach took great exception to how the R2 addressed the scorekeeper. He wanted the R2 removed from the match and refused to play if the R2 stayed.

I told him that there was no rule basis for me removing the R2 from the match and if we continued the match, he was going to stay. But if the visiting coach agreed, we could suspend the match and let the conference decide how to proceed going forward.

The visiting coach talked to her players and they agreed. So we stopped play, left the building, and I called the assignor as soon as I got in my car.

Crazy situation for me.

bob jenkins Thu May 12, 2022 08:34am

Ha! I had a coach leave the court and forfeit a match a while ago.

genetoy71 Thu May 12, 2022 12:30pm

Refusal to play when directed to do so by the first referee means that the match shall be forfeited (not may, shall). Rule 1.5.2.a . Unless I am missing something, there was no basis for "suspending" the match and it should have been forfeited by the home team.

Scrapper1 Thu May 12, 2022 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by genetoy71 (Post 1048173)
Refusal to play when directed to do so by the first referee means that the match shall be forfeited

1) They were never directed to play. I gave them the choice to play with both officials present, or to suspend the match. They chose the latter.

2) My mentor (a very accomplished D1 official) said that he would actually would have tried to convince the R2 to leave and then finish the match with one official.

Altor Fri May 13, 2022 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1048177)
2) My mentor (a very accomplished D1 official) said that he would actually would have tried to convince the R2 to leave and then finish the match with one official.

I can't imagine a scenario where I would suggest to a partner that he/she should leave the contest unless it's because he/she should be going to the hospital.

Scrapper1 Sat May 14, 2022 06:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1048180)
I can't imagine a scenario where I would suggest to a partner that he/she should leave the contest unless it's because he/she should be going to the hospital.

That was exactly my feeling, too. Kind of destroys the concept that we're a team. Also feels like I would be caving in to a coach's demands, and I really don't like that idea at all. But I have to acknowledge that it might be the best thing for the kids.

timasdf Mon Aug 08, 2022 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1048188)
...I have to acknowledge that it might be the best thing for the kids.

Rarely is the "best thing for the kids" to continue playing a contest when the adults are acting like idiots.

Scholastic sports are part of the overall education experience. The last thing we need to be teaching students is that lousy behavior by the adults is, "no big deal, play on."

The best learning environment for the kids is demonstrating that this behavior has consequences.