The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   NFHS situation (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/105147-nfhs-situation.html)

gair-z Fri Sep 25, 2020 08:08am

NFHS situation

Could somebody point me to the rule that says a player can't be subbed out, put her Libero jersey on and re-enter the set as the Libero. It's not an injury situation. thanks!

bob jenkins Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:24am

7-1-2 "Only one libero may be designated per set..."

gair-z Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:32am

Sorry. I should have said she's the only Libero.

FMadera Fri Sep 25, 2020 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gair-z (Post 1039767)
Sorry. I should have said she's the only Libero.

If it's not a redesignation to replace the existing libero, how about the rule about the deadline to submit your lineup (which includes the libero)? If that player is listed in both places, the coach would need to decide if she's a regular player or a libero, so if she's a regular player, the team plays without a libero, since none was designated for the set.

genetoy71 Fri Sep 25, 2020 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gair-z (Post 1039762)
Could somebody point me to the rule that says a player can't be subbed out, put her Libero jersey on and re-enter the set as the Libero. It's not an injury situation. thanks!

I don't know if this situation is hypothetical or real, but it really wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for a coach to do this even if he or she could. Let's say a coach submits a lineup with a libero #7 and a roster player #10 occupying the 4th position in the serving order and the coach knows the player wearing these uniform numbers is the same person. Since the player wearing #10 started the set, she can only occupy position #4 in the serving order. If at some point in the set the coach substituted #8 for #10 and #10 then put on libero jersey#7. Since the same player can't be two different people and she was already in the set as #7 in position #4 in the serving order, she can now play only back row and can only play back row in position #4 in the serving order.

If she started the set as the libero, she could play back row for anyone and serve in one position in the serving order. Since she did not start the set as the libero, she would be locked in to position #4 in the serving order. Essentially, she would be playing back row for herself.

john5396 Fri Sep 25, 2020 01:18pm

Bob's response was the correct response.

Since the libero must be designated on the teams lineup for the set, a player cannot switch from being a player on the lineup to a libero during the match.

FMadera Fri Sep 25, 2020 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by john5396 (Post 1039773)
Bob's response was the correct response.

Since the libero must be designated on the teams lineup for the set, a player cannot switch from being a player on the lineup to a libero during the match.

Sure they can. They just can't do it in the same set, unless it's a libero redesignation, and even then, an initial libero would have had to have been listed.

gair-z Fri Sep 25, 2020 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera (Post 1039771)
If it's not a redesignation to replace the existing libero, how about the rule about the deadline to submit your lineup (which includes the libero)? If that player is listed in both places, the coach would need to decide if she's a regular player or a libero, so if she's a regular player, the team plays without a libero, since none was designated for the set.

Well this is where I was going. Is there anywhere that says those 7 positions are 7 different unique players?

And this is not hypothetical. The coach apparently did it the other way as well... had Libero playing, had her change into regular uni top, and enteredback the same set with a substitution.

Thanks for the feedback, all!

FMadera Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gair-z (Post 1039776)
Well this is where I was going. Is there anywhere that says those 7 positions are 7 different unique players?

And this is not hypothetical. The coach apparently did it the other way as well... had Libero playing, had her change into regular uni top, and enteredback the same set with a substitution.

Thanks for the feedback, all!

Not allowed.

7-4-b pretty much states it clearly.