The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 09, 2019, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Penalty Point for Late Lineup

What is the proper mechanic for awarding a penalty point to start a set due to the late submittal of the roster or lineup prior to the set? What whistles and/or signals should the R1 or R2 give to indicate the penalty?

This has happened to me four times this season; twice the roster was not submitted at the meeting, and twice the lineup the lineup was not submitted before one minute before the succeeding set*.

*One of those times my R2 recorded a YUD instead of a penalty point. This created an issue later in the set.

The other three times, we properly awarded a penalty point, but there is no agreement in my association as to the indication of the penalty/award. The association training coordinator says to just put the point up on the board and start the set. Of course you will tell the coach.

But I don't see how that communicates anything to anyone. The Manual says to use the "Illegal Alignment" signal (Signal 1). I, personally, think you should start the set as normal and when the first serve is struck the R2 (who is the one who knows of the penalty) should whistle and signal. This would explain/indicate to everyone in the gym that a point is awarded (and a serve lost, if appropriate).

Any thoughts?
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleman View Post
I, personally, think you should start the set as normal and when the first serve is struck the R2 (who is the one who knows of the penalty) should whistle and signal. This would explain/indicate to everyone in the gym that a point is awarded (and a serve lost, if appropriate).

Any thoughts?
That, but you don't need to wait for the serve to be struck. Just do it after the on-court line-ups are set. Signal the "Illegal Alignment", award the point, and give the ball to the proper team -- making sure they rotate, if needed.