The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 04, 2019, 02:10pm
Lighten up, Francis.

USA vs. ARG

Watching this FIVA match on TV right now. It looks like the R2 is not mirroring the R1's signals after each point. Is that how it's supposed to work? Or is the R2 just really slow and I'm not seeing it on camera?
Old Tue Aug 06, 2019, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Watching this FIVA match on TV right now. It looks like the R2 is not mirroring the R1's signals after each point. Is that how it's supposed to work? Or is the R2 just really slow and I'm not seeing it on camera?
FIVB second referees only get to the side of the fault at the end of the rally, unless they initiate the fault, then they will indicate the fault, then repeat the loss of rally signal after the R1 determines who wins the point.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue Aug 06, 2019, 02:00pm
Lighten up, Francis.

One of the things that I like about the NCAA mechanics is that the scorekeeper should be able to score the whole match just by watching the R2. I guess that's not considered to be necessary at the int'l level. Interesting!
Old Tue Aug 06, 2019, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
One of the things that I like about the NCAA mechanics is that the scorekeeper should be able to score the whole match just by watching the R2. I guess that's not considered to be necessary at the int'l level. Interesting!
Well, they can look at the R2 and award the point to the side they are NOT standing on. But they can also just look at the R1. FIVB referees tend to hold the loss of rally signal longer than domestic referees, and that's usually plenty of time to figure out who won the rally.

In addition, they normally score on the computer, so there's not really much time needed at the end of a rally to take care of business.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee