The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Shoes (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/103731-shoes.html)

Scrapper1 Wed Mar 28, 2018 05:28pm

Shoes

This gets asked all the time in the Basketball Forum, but I don't see any suggestions in here. Anybody have a good recommendation for all-white sneakers? I found a good pair of Addidas for $95, but that seems kind of pricey.

Anybody point me in the right direction?

bob jenkins Fri Mar 30, 2018 07:41am

I use these:

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/fila-memo...or&color=white

(In case that url doesn't work, go to jcpenney.com and search for FILA under men's shoes)

ilyazhito Mon Apr 02, 2018 09:20am

What's the reason for white shoes? I know that volleyball officials typically wear white uniforms, but officiating shoes are typically black, regardless of sport.

john5396 Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37am

What is the reason for any officiating uniform... Consistency of appearance for the officials defined by the governing body.

In my case, I call NFHS in NC. NCHSAA defines our uniform as white shirt with appropriate logo, black slacks and black shoes. When I started 15 years ago, we wore white shoes.

bob jenkins Mon Apr 02, 2018 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020229)
What's the reason for white shoes? I know that volleyball officials typically wear white uniforms, but officiating shoes are typically black, regardless of sport.

THE HS uniform is black shoes, black socks, black pants, white shirt.

The NCAAW uniform is white shoes, white socks, blue pants, (a different) white shirt.

Scrapper works HS volleyball under NCAAW rules -- thus, the need for white shoes.

Scrapper1 Mon Apr 02, 2018 03:48pm

Just ordered the FILAs. Tried them on locally, but they only carried black. So I ordered the white ones online. Thanks for the tip, Bob.

Tony.oe4 Tue Apr 03, 2018 01:50pm

I typically wear New Balance shoes as they run a bit wider and I have wider feet. No matter if I get all black shoes for NHFS or all white shoes for USAV or PAVO, I always buy Dr. Scholl's to put into my shoes. I may have to try these Fila shoes out the next time I have to buy some new shoes.

bob jenkins Tue Apr 03, 2018 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony.oe4 (Post 1020348)
I typically wear New Balance shoes as they run a bit wider and I have wider feet. No matter if I get all black shoes for NHFS or all white shoes for USAV or PAVO, I always buy Dr. Scholl's to put into my shoes. I may have to try these Fila shoes out the next time I have to buy some new shoes.

I also have wide feet, and these work for me. I can't recall whether I ordered them in a width or they just run wide.

I would not use them for something like basketball, but the stresses of standing / walking a few feet for several hours (volleyball) are different from the stresses for running (intermittently) and changing direction for 75 minutes.

(And, no, I don't get a cut from the sale of these)

ilyazhito Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1020251)

The NCAAW uniform is white shoes, white socks, blue pants, (a different) white shirt.

Scrapper works HS volleyball under NCAAW rules -- thus, the need for white shoes.

OK. Now I understand.

genetoy71 Wed Apr 04, 2018 02:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1020251)

Not in Ohio. We wear white shoes and white socks.

bob jenkins Wed Apr 04, 2018 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by genetoy71 (Post 1020372)
Not in Ohio. We wear white shoes and white socks.

Yes -- I should have been more clear in my post that what I said was the "standard" but that different organizations can change it.

timasdf Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:51am

This depends on the state / governing body. In my opinion, a major factor is the influence that the volleyball people have with the state association.

In many states, volleyball is an afterthought that is forced on the state office (that would prefer to be dealing with basketball and football issues).

I've worked in both. In California, the VB community has quite a bit of autonomy / influence. Because of that, the VB officials wear white shoes and navy blue pants. Same in Ohio. There are some influential VB people that live there.

In other states where VB is an afterthought, VB officials typically wear black shoes and black pants. In a significant number of states, VB refs are simply washed-up basketball refs that can't run or move any longer. The state office doesn't want to force them to buy a different pair of shoes and pants.

They see that all they have to do is stand there, blow the whistle for serve and when it hits the ground...grab their check and leave. I recall one such ref working a full varsity schedule at the ONE 1-hour annual rules meeting ask, "what is a block"?

How many states still have their VB refs wear stripes?

timasdf Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:52am

Walking Shoes

The best shoes I have used for VB officiating are listed as "walking shoes." Super cushioned. Been wearing them for years.

genetoy71 Wed Apr 25, 2018 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by timasdf (Post 1020976)
...I've worked in both. In California, the VB community has quite a bit of autonomy / influence. Because of that, the VB officials wear white shoes and navy blue pants. Same in Ohio.

Not true about Ohio - pants or shorts have to be black.

LRZ Wed Apr 25, 2018 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by timasdf (Post 1020976)
How many states still have their VB refs wear stripes?

I don't work VB, but this question made me curious, so I looked it up on the PIAA website. Pennsylvania mandates black&white striped shirts, with everything else all black.