The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Roster is Correct But Then...

NFHS game. The coach turns in the roster on time and legal. Set one and set two go by with no problems. During the 3 minutes between set 2 and 3 the team runs back into the lockeroom and returns quickly. While checking the players on the floor with submitted lineup everything looks the same except that now the players have all exchanged uniforms with each other. The player who was setting and wearing #2 is now wearing the libero uniform, #7. The libero is wearing #10, the player who wore that is wearing #5, and the previous #5 is now setting and wearing #2.

The coach kept all the numbers in the same spots, the girls just exchanged jerseys and played new positions on the floor. I can't find anything in the book that addresses this. Is it legal? The "correct roster" was submitted prior to the match as required and it stayed at the table. The lineups were always correct because only the numbers are required. The players simply swapped uniforms with each other. There doesn't seem to be anything that I could find that would make this a violation? But it doesn't seem right.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Roster

Rule 7 states that a coach shall submit in writing to the scorer an accurate roster giving names and uniform numbers of all players. There is also a note that a player's number may change without penalty if the player must change uniforms due to blood on the uniform.
Rule 10-4-3 states that a player redesignated as libero must have a unique number not worn by any teammate.
Rule 4-2-3 states that each player must be identified by a number on the uniform top which is not a duplicate of a teammate's number.

Combining these rules implies that the team you specified has violated the rules and exhibited bad sportsmanship. Rule 4-2-3 is the primary reason. The players are now wearing numbers that are duplicates of teammates.

Last edited by pavbref; Thu Oct 20, 2016 at 02:09pm.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavbref View Post
Rule 7 states that a coach shall submit in writing to the scorer an accurate roster giving names and uniform numbers of all players. There is also a note that a player's number may change without penalty if the player must change uniforms due to blood on the uniform.
Rule 10-4-3 states that a player redesignated as libero must have a unique number not worn by any teammate.
Rule 4-2-3 states that each player must be identified by a number on the uniform top which is not a duplicate of a teammate's number.

Combining these rules implies that the team you specified has violated the rules and exhibited bad sportsmanship. Rule 4-2-3 is the primary reason. The players are now wearing numbers that are duplicates of teammates.
I just got a response from our state association. They say "no rule violation".