The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   high school sub (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/101525-high-school-sub.html)

bbman Sat Jul 30, 2016 04:19pm

high school sub

Sub comes up into substitution area, R2 acknowledges her and blows whistle for substitution. About an instant later, coach calls her back to bench saying 'no sub'.
What are coaches choices now?
1. Sub must go in?
2. Allow coach to pull back sub?
3. Delay of game card?
4. Can call time out?

Thanks in advance

bob jenkins Sun Jul 31, 2016 07:31am

By my reading of the rule (and I'm brand new to VB, so this is not much more than a guess), it's 3 and 2. Yellow card on the first offense; red on the second.

The coach can request a TO after that, but it doesn't "save" him / her from the delay.

TimTaylor Sun Jul 31, 2016 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 989508)
By my reading of the rule (and I'm brand new to VB, so this is not much more than a guess), it's 3 and 2. Yellow card on the first offense; red on the second.

The coach can request a TO after that, but it doesn't "save" him / her from the delay.

Correct - it is delaying substitution per 10-2-7-a-2

Both 1-a and 2-a of the penalty section apply

FMadera Mon Aug 01, 2016 04:19pm

Practical answer: Tell coach, "Coach, sub or delay, which do you want?" Then go with that one.

Lcubed48 Tue Aug 02, 2016 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 989508)

Welcome, Bob. Will this be your first season? I'm beginning my 4th. I'm enjoying the sport. I hope that you will also.

:) Always listen to Felix! :)

IMO, the volleyball board here is a lot less confrontational than either SB or BB are.

john5396 Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcubed48 (Post 989579)
Welcome, Bob. Will this be your first season? I'm beginning my 4th. I'm enjoying the sport. I hope that you will also.

IMO, the volleyball board here is a lot less confrontational than either SB or BB are.

Agree, there is good rules knowledge on this board, but ALWAYS LISTEN to FELIX...

Rich Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:27pm

That's cool, cause on the other boards (basketball, baseball) there's a rule of "always listen to Bob."

bob jenkins Tue Aug 02, 2016 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcubed48 (Post 989579)

1st year. Something like 7 matches (in two training sessions) under my belt. (Plus 5 years of college scorekeeping, spent watching the officials.) I'm practically a pro. ;)

And, VB in general is less confrontational than BB or BK (and, I assume, SB).

TimTaylor Tue Aug 02, 2016 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMadera (Post 989554)
Practical answer: Tell coach, "Coach, sub or delay, which do you want?" Then go with that one.

Agree 100% this is the best way to handle it - give the coach their options and proceed accordigly.

TimTaylor Tue Aug 02, 2016 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 989601)
And, VB in general is less confrontational than BB or BK (and, I assume, SB).

Yep, it's definitely a kinder, gentler sport 99% of the time.....