The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Track & Field (https://forum.officiating.com/track-field/)
-   -   Relay Uniforms (https://forum.officiating.com/track-field/901-relay-uniforms.html)

Brian Watson Wed Apr 19, 2000 08:18am

In a meet last night during the 4x800 relay the girl who was the anchor leg started to take off her sweats as the third runner was coming out of the curve. She then realized she didn't have on her top. The girl who ran the first leg whipped hers off and gave it to the anchor.

The host school did not determine an area of competition, so I really could not warn them for removing the jersey, but does this violate the relay team uniform rules? I didn't call anything, because I didn't know how I would explain it, but it seems there should be some violation there.

Ray Lutz Sat Apr 29, 2000 12:24am

Brian

You did good by not issueing any warning or disqualifing any team. This is just good common sense officiating on your part. As well as quick thinking by the athletes. We are not there to nit pick the rules. It was not the intent of the rule to penalize kids who forgot their shirt. The intent was to stop athletes who wanted to draw attention to themselves by removing their uni on the track.

Keep up the good work.

Ray

Joe Heintzman Wed May 03, 2000 10:58am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ray Lutz:
Brian
I agree with Ray on your no call, however lets take this one more step. If it had been a bigger meet and numbers are to be worn on the uni how would we handle this. I am just asking a question. I know in the state of Ohio all schools have a set number they are issued by the ohsaa and the uni has the no. sewen on it and is asigned to the boy /girl who will wear that uni. and no. all year long. What I am asking is would we call this in a bigger meet. She would have ran her leg of the relay wearing an illegal number
You did good by not issueing any warning or disqualifing any team. This is just good common sense officiating on your part. As well as quick thinking by the athletes. We are not there to nit pick the rules. It was not the intent of the rule to penalize kids who forgot their shirt. The intent was to stop athletes who wanted to draw attention to themselves by removing their uni on the track.

Keep up the good work.

Ray
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian Watson Wed May 03, 2000 11:23am

Funny you should mention OHSAA. I am in Ohio, and ran this by Dr. Moore for an interpretation. My call was good, but a warning is to be given when the "area of competition" is designated. From her response, it would be a no call at the bigger meets as well due to the fact there is no rule about using the same uni.

In all fairness this was a huge breakdown between myself and the clerk. Had this been a day when it was warmer than 39 degrees, or if it had been a bigger meet, we would have inspected the teams prior to the race and caught this.

If there are any younger officials out there...nothing can replace good preventive officiating.

Theisey Sun May 14, 2000 07:04pm

You should have issued and recorded the warning and unless this was the second warning, that would be about all there is too it. No DQ .

That business about the Games Committe defining the area of competition can be tricky when they fail to put it in writing, but considering the athlete is on the track or about to enter the track for purposes of running, there should be no question that this is "an area of competition".

About everyone I've talked to about this feels that the GC really just extends the competition areas, such as making the entire area within the confines of the track i.e. the infield as the place where the removal of the uniform is prohibited. So, if my high jumper walks 20 meters away from the approach area, he/she can not just stetch out for a little sun tanning without the complete uniform on.