The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Track & Field

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Jewelry in field event

Here's one that is a common misapplication of the jewelry rule.

NFHS. Shot putter makes a put with a bracelet on her wrist. Event judge calls "Foul" and points out the bracelet. Coach appeals to you, the referee, citing that the event judge did not instruct her to remove the bracelet during warm-ups or before her attempt.

What's your ruling?
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

This is neither a foul nor a fair throw... no attempt is even recorded. However, this is to be reported to the field/meet referee as a disqualifing condition from the event .. it is clearly spelled out in the NFHS rules no jewelry.

The field event official does not have to say anything, the onus is on the coach and his/her athlete. Any such appeal trying to use he official as the scapegoat will be denied .
Old Sun Jun 13, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

So the $64,000 question is:

As the referee, would you disqualify the competitor when the coach appeals the "foul" call?
Old Sun Jun 13, 2010, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
So the $64,000 question is:

As the referee, would you disqualify the competitor when the coach appeals the "foul" call?
There is no foul call to appeal. The athlete has DQ his/herself the moment he/she was observed wearing this item of jewelry.

In you first post, you stated "Here's one that is a common misapplication of the jewelry rule". Just what do you feel is misapplied?
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

I've heard, on more than one occasion, where registered officials in my state have called a foul attempt in this situation. Don't ask me why. Like I said, it seems to be a common misapplication. They never report it to the head field judge or the referee because they don't see it as an issue they need to report.

So, I was taking it a step further. What would you do in this situation where the original call was "foul" and the coach appeals that call?

Since we aren't talking about a judgment, but rather a misapplication of the rules, I believe I would disqualify the athlete (after verifying with the official that he did see the bracelet).

I also agree that it is ultimately up to the coach and athletes to make sure they are in a proper uniform/without jewelry. While officials in my area tend to do the preventive officiating that the coach in the OP was asking for, that is not required. We do it out of good will.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Rule change for 2011

Given the rule change in Fed, I think I need to update my ruling. If I am the referee and the coach appeals the OP situation:

If it is the team's first jewelry offense (or I cannot establish that the throw came after I gave the coach his team's jewelry warning), I uphold his appeal. I give the coach his team warning and instruct the event judge to give the athlete a replacement throw.

If I can establish that the throw came after the first jewelry warning for the team, not only do I deny his appeal, but I disqualify the athlete from the event.