The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Track & Field (https://forum.officiating.com/track-field/)
-   -   Pole Vault standards set incorrectly (https://forum.officiating.com/track-field/58171-pole-vault-standards-set-incorrectly.html)

Altor Fri May 21, 2010 07:41am

Pole Vault standards set incorrectly

As much as I like reading them, I'm getting tired of reading the other boards and not really being able to contribute to the rules discussions, etc. So, I'm just gonna start posting the "weird" things that happen to me or my colleagues on the track, in the hopes that some passers-by will join the "conversation" I'm having with myself. I'll leave each for a couple days, and if nobody joins me, I'll go ahead and answer myself.

Situation 1: NFHS Rules. In the pole vault, using the "5-alive" method, the first 14 vaults are all unsuccessful (4 vaulters have missed three times, and the 5th is ready for his third attempt). At the request of a coach, the event judge checks the standards and realizes that his crew (student help) has been using the metric scale for placing standards instead of the imperial measurements being relayed to them. How should the competition proceed?

Altor Thu May 27, 2010 01:08pm

After confirming with the help that they had been using the metric side for the entire competition, I would wipe out all 14 vaults to that point and "start from scratch."

As for the order, I'd probably let #5 take his vault and continue with #6,7,8,9 in my rotation and come back to #1-4 (and maybe 5) after I've reached the end of the list.

Theisey Sun May 30, 2010 10:19am

what are we talking abut here... the standards depth settings?

Vaulter asks for 24 inches and the volunteer help it to 24 centimeters?

The current rule book was supposed to say that it is not a foul if the standards positioning was incorrectly set by "an official". Since the
athletes did not incorrectly set the standards all that cleared should not be penalized. All that failed should be provided with the opportunity to jump again with their prior misses wiped out.

The student help are considered officials at this point. Now it's time to provide the pit crew with some education on how to properly set the standards using the imperial indicators..

Altor Sun May 30, 2010 08:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theisey (Post 679252)
what are we talking abut here... the standards depth settings?

Vaulter asks for 24 inches and the volunteer help it to 24 centimeters?

Yes, that's exactly what happened.

Quote:

The current rule book was supposed to say that it is not a foul if the standards positioning was incorrectly set by "an official". Since the
athletes did not incorrectly set the standards all that cleared should not be penalized. All that failed should be provided with the opportunity to jump again with their prior misses wiped out.
I agree

Quote:

The student help are considered officials at this point. Now it's time to provide the pit crew with some education on how to properly set the standards using the imperial indicators..
I was one of the pole vault officials at the venue the following week. After I heard about this, I took a piece of athletic tape and put it over the metric measurement. Then, I used a tape measure and marker so there were imperial measurements on both sides of the standards.

Theisey Mon May 31, 2010 08:40am

Quote:

I was one of the pole vault officials at the venue the following week. After I heard about this, I took a piece of athletic tape and put it over the metric measurement. Then, I used a tape measure and marker so there were imperial measurements on both sides of the standards.
that is a very good solution.

An alternate solution when the event is held at collegiate facilites is to have an imperial to metric converison chart handy and set the standards using metric. You can make your own or find one on-line at the Buttermore site. That works well too.