The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Track & Field (https://forum.officiating.com/track-field/)
-   -   Registered Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/track-field/2713-registered-officials.html)

mick Wed Jul 25, 2001 11:15am

In Michigan, only the starter is required to be a registered official, yet most of the stuff that happens on the track is at the field events and the relay handoffs across the track, or on the turns that have to be properly judged.
How many registered officials are required in other states?
mick

Brian Watson Wed Jul 25, 2001 11:46am

In OH it depends. At the dual meets it is one or two registered officials. One to start, one to help the clerk and keep an eye on other things.

For your larger meets, and certainly by state time everyone working is licensed, except for people pulling tapes in FE or replacing the bars.

Quite honestly I was surprised. When I was in IN you were lucky to have one licensed person, here they are all over.

mick Wed Jul 25, 2001 11:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Watson
In OH it depends. At the dual meets it is one or two registered officials. One to start, one to help the clerk and keep an eye on other things.

For your larger meets, and certainly by state time everyone working is licensed, except for people pulling tapes in FE or replacing the bars.

Quite honestly I was surprised. When I was in IN you were lucky to have one licensed person, here they are all over.

I really like the idea of at least two. One to start and the other to watch for garbage.
Then, maybe a third to float the Fields.
Thanks, Brian.

ref5678 Sun Dec 29, 2002 09:33pm

In IL at the state and sectional meet The starter and the meet referee has to be licensed with the state association

mick Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref5678
In IL at the state and sectional meet The starter and the meet referee has to be licensed with the state association
ref5678,
At our State Cross Country meet, I think we had 53 registered officials on the course. ;)
mick

ref5678 Mon Dec 30, 2002 08:25am

I did not mean to imply we only had 2 I was just saying who had to be licensed per IHSA By-laws sorry for any confusion i may have caused Mick.

Theisey Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:14am

Can't speak for the entire state (NY) as each chapter negotiates with their respective section as to how many officials are assigned to a meet.
My section uses 4 officials at dual meets (varsity and/or modified). Except for the Starter and Finish Judge positions, the home coaches request where the other two officials will be placed and they will fill in with assistants at the other spots.

We'll use anywhere from 16 to 23 officials at the large weekend meets or league championships. All field events are covered by one or more officials at those meets. All relay zones are covered by field event officials since the field events are usually over by that time they are run.

Do not recall how Cross Country meets are handled.

ref5678 Sat Jan 25, 2003 04:09pm

well according to the IHSA website and the terms and conditions for the upcoming season. Any person starting a not- fat(fully automatic timing system) during sectionals or state must be an IHSA licensed track and field official.