The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Track & Field

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Question re: exchange zone disqualification

Not even sure if anyone will read this based on the mileage on this board but here goes:

What is the rule on contact between runners from other teams within exchange zones? Specifically, the following situation.

4x800 relay, state meet. Runner A2 hands to A3. A2 then stops in lane 1. B2 hands to B3 who then collides with A2 in lane 1 following the exchange. B3 is clearly put at a disadvantage because of the collision. Is there a rule justification for a dq here? I quickly perused the NFHS book, but I'm not handy enough with it to find anything that would back that up.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

The rule you want is 5-10-8
After passing the baton, the relieved competitor should stand still or jog straight ahead and step off the track when cleared.

If there is any possibility that somebody behind him might be trying to move to his inside, I give the runner the benefit of the doubt for standing in lane 1 instead of stepping off the track. If he tries to step off the track (i.e. he's not standing still or jogging straight ahead) and interferes, he's liable for the contact.

On the other hand, if he was standing in the left side of the lane with no possibility of being passed on the inside and he did not step off, that could be judged as interference.

Last edited by Altor; Mon May 21, 2018 at 08:32pm.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
The rule you want is 5-10-8
After passing the baton, the relieved competitor should stand still or jog straight ahead and step off the track when cleared.

If there is any possibility that somebody behind him might be trying to move to his inside, I give the runner the benefit of the doubt for standing in lane 1 instead of stepping off the track. If he tries to step off the track (i.e. he's not standing still or jogging straight ahead) and interferes, he's liable for the contact.

On the other hand, if he was standing in the left side of the lane with no possibility of being passed on the inside and he did not step off, that could be judged as interference.
This is what happened. I am going to try to find the video just for S&G's to see what those who are much more wise in this arena think.