The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Staying in the slot like a champ (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/99916-staying-slot-like-champ.html)

teebob21 Wed Jun 24, 2015 03:57pm

Staying in the slot like a champ

I had games this weekend where both pitchers loved throwing outside and low. The catchers were mediocre at best, and I narrowly avoided being this guy: Ump hit, stays in game | MLB.com

I honestly can't say I was that rock solid. After a few shots to the forearm and thighs, I was a bit jumpy.

(This is also the first time I've seen a big league catcher wear a helmet with a backwards ball cap underneath. I don't watch that much baseball, so maybe this is the cool thing now. I dunno.)

chapmaja Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:44pm

Having done a lot of HS JV ball and 14/U and under travel ball, plus MS ball I completely understand getting jumpy. It often takes me an inning or two to get comfortable behind the plate depending on the catcher.

I have suffered several nice bruises this season and spent three weeks with my hand in a brace from a foul tipped bunt off the catchers glove right into the side of my hand. Still paying the bills for that one too.

EsqUmp Fri Jun 26, 2015 06:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 964152)
I had games this weekend where both pitchers loved throwing outside and low. The catchers were mediocre at best, and I narrowly avoided being this guy: Ump hit, stays in game | MLB.com

I honestly can't say I was that rock solid. After a few shots to the forearm and thighs, I was a bit jumpy.

(This is also the first time I've seen a big league catcher wear a helmet with a backwards ball cap underneath. I don't watch that much baseball, so maybe this is the cool thing now. I dunno.)

Not for nothing but what does a low and outside pitch have to do with a foul ball straight back to an umpire in the slot?

Zepp Fri Jun 26, 2015 07:10am

I believe the inference is that the catcher would be setting up outside to catch the low and outside pitches,
thus leaving an exposed umpire who is properly in the slot.
Just takes one inside fouled off pitch while the catcher is setup outside to make it a painful night for the umpire.

teebob21 Fri Jun 26, 2015 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zepp (Post 964196)
I believe the inference is that the catcher would be setting up outside to catch the low and outside pitches,
thus leaving an exposed umpire who is properly in the slot.
Just takes one inside fouled off pitch while the catcher is setup outside to make it a painful night for the umpire.

Why, yes, that was what I was inferring. :)

SWFLguy Fri Jun 26, 2015 07:32pm

I'm telling you---I never---ever got dinged when I used my outside protector (raft). I do a lot of JV games now and with pitchers that can't pitch and catchers that can't catch, I'm about ready to find one and use it. Snide remarks be damned.

Matt-MI Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:31pm

Had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago in a PONY league baseball game. I got hit 6 times and was getting a bit gun shy by the end. I felt like Happy Gilmore standing in front of the pitching machine.

EsqUmp Sun Jun 28, 2015 08:26am

Self-preservation takes precedence over any mechanics you've been taught.

CecilOne Sun Jun 28, 2015 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 964274)
Self-preservation takes precedence over any mechanics you've been taught.

As long as you don't care about ratings. :rolleyes: