The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Hbp (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/99901-hbp.html)

outathm Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:16am

Hbp

Can anyone in this forum tell me of a rule set OTHER THAN ASA, which requires the batter to attempt to get out of the way of a pitch? This weekend it caused trouble every time a girl got hit.

These girls are used to HS/NCAA where they do not have to move, and when told to stay in the box, they really do not like it.

I do not care whether or not they like it, but to explain that ASA is different from every other rule set, got old quickly.

RKBUmp Mon Jun 22, 2015 06:34am

Quote:

These girls are used to HS/NCAA where they do not have to move
This is not an accurate statement. Both rule sets do still in fact require the batter to attempt to avoid the pitch unless the ball is completely within the batters box.

NCAA baseball tried the same rule for a few years and this year just went back to requiring the attempt to avoid. After all the uproar this year in NCAA softball and the record HBP numbers, especially Florida, I have heard it is on the rule committees agenda for discussion and a revisit.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 22, 2015 06:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 963998)
This is not an accurate statement. Both rule sets do still in fact require the batter to attempt to avoid the pitch unless the ball is completely within the batters box.

NCAA baseball tried the same rule for a few years and this year just went back to requiring the attempt to avoid. After all the uproar this year in NCAA softball and the record HBP numbers, especially Florida, I have heard it is on the rule committees agenda for discussion and a revisit.

It seems that this was an issue since it's inception. There is nothing wrong with ASA's view on this rule as it is. HS/NCAA which their rules. ASA has had the same rule for decades.

The NCAA teams have begun using the HBP as a strategy and have damn near armor plated some batters in anticipation of being hit by a pitch. Again, the coach-driven rules may be good or the coaches, but not necessarily good for the game.

RKBUmp Mon Jun 22, 2015 06:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 963999)
It seems that this was an issue since it's inception. There is nothing wrong with ASA's view on this rule as it is. HS/NCAA which their rules. ASA has had the same rule for decades.

The NCAA teams have begun using the HBP as a strategy and have damn near armor plated some batters in anticipation of being hit by a pitch. Again, the coach-driven rules may be good or the coaches, but not necessarily good for the game.

It really didnt take a lot to figure out as soon as they changed the rule coaches and batters were going to attempt to use it as a free pass. While I dont do college ball, obviously everyone has seen the result on the televised games. And on the high school level, as soon as the rule was changed I noticed a huge increase in the number of batters with their toes right on the edge of the inside batters box lines.

azbigdawg Mon Jun 22, 2015 07:42am

Call me a simple old man...but if the pitch is not where it is supposed to be (in the box), and the batter IS.... she should not have to get out of the way. The elbows hanging out over the plate are a little different.

RKBUmp Mon Jun 22, 2015 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 964002)
Call me a simple old man...but if the pitch is not where it is supposed to be (in the box), and the batter IS.... she should not have to get out of the way. The elbows hanging out over the plate are a little different.

And I would completely agree IF the rule was being called as it is written. But it is not and we have all seen the batters hanging elbows and knees into the river and getting beaned on purpose. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen the umpire actually make the batter stay and continue the at bat.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Jun 22, 2015 08:58am

Quote:

Simple old man.

Cliffdweller Mon Jun 22, 2015 09:13pm

[QUOTE=RKBUmp;963998]This is not an accurate statement. Both rule sets do still in fact require the batter to attempt to avoid the pitch unless the ball is completely within the batters box.

Not true for NFHS.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Jun 22, 2015 09:42pm

[QUOTE=Cliffdweller;964032]
Quote:

Not true for NFHS.

Semantically correct; the batter is not required to attempt to avoid any pitched ball. However, 7.3.2 PENALTY makes clear that the batter should only be awarded the base if the ball is completely in the batter's box, UNLESS she is attempts to avoid.

So, she doesn't have to avoid; it's just a dead ball ball or a dead ball strike, not an awarded base.

RKBUmp Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:05pm

[QUOTE=Cliffdweller;964032]
Quote:

Not true for NFHS.

Exactly how is it not true for nfhs when the penalty portion of the rule specifically states the batter is not awarded 1st base if no attempt to avoid a pitch not entirely in the batters box?

outathm Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:29pm

Whether the statement are Correct or Incorrect, the ASA Rule states that the batter must make an attempt to avoid the pitch. When the ball is in the box, and hits the girl square on the hip, and she did not try to get out of the way, but instead watched it hit her, which she has done for the past 3 months of playing, it causes head aches.

RKBUmp Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:56pm

Should only be a problem long enough to tell the coach they should be aware of the rule set they are playing under.

EsqUmp Tue Jun 23, 2015 06:38am

The problem is the wording of the ASA rule. If a batter freezes because a ball is coming at her at 65 mph, ASA's rule says she doesn't get first. The interpretation would have to be that she does though because not all batters can in fact get out of the way. If you couldn't get out of the way as an umpire, how the hell is a batter to get out of the way? As written, the ASA doesn't permit common sense to be applied.

You'll certainly get into more trouble leaving hit batters in the batter's box then giving them first base.

CecilOne Tue Jun 23, 2015 06:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 964053)
You'll certainly get into more trouble leaving hit batters in the batter's box then giving them first base.

Not relevant to the rule.

CecilOne Tue Jun 23, 2015 06:59am

Quote:

If you couldn't get out of the way as an umpire, how the hell is a batter to get out of the way?

The batter is allowed to move while the pitch is in flight.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jun 23, 2015 07:23am

Quote:

Flawed logic. There is no rule stating a pitch cannot be thrown over the batter's box. But if the batter doesn't need to move when the ball is in the BB, why can you have CO if the catcher is attempting to receive the ball in the BB?

If the ball "isn't supposed to be there", then the batter shouldn't be able to hit the ball that is over the BB.

As a batter, common sense would tell one to avoid the sphere coming at you and that is not happening in the NCAA game.

Aahhh, WTF, let's just put up a screen in front of the batter and anytime the pitch hits it, the batter is awarded 1B :)

Then again, this is how the rule should probably read:

A pitched ball, not struck at, which touches any part of the batter's person or clothing, while standing in his position, provided the batter does not intentionally allow the ball to strike him.

Of course, now some idiot is going to say you cannot "know" intent. Well, if you are a good umpire, you can tell the difference between getting hit by the pitch and allowing the pitch to hit you. And yes, the batter should get the benefit of any doubt.

CecilOne Tue Jun 23, 2015 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 964057)
Then again, this is how the rule should probably read:

A pitched ball, not struck at, which touches any part of the batter's person or clothing, while standing in his position, provided the batter does not intentionally allow the ball to strike him.

Standing in his/her position is a bit narrow, need to allow for avoidance moves, etc.

RKBUmp Tue Jun 23, 2015 08:51am

Quote:

The problem is the wording of the ASA rule. If a batter freezes because a ball is coming at her at 65 mph, ASA's rule says she doesn't get first. The interpretation would have to be that she does though because not all batters can in fact get out of the way. If you couldn't get out of the way as an umpire, how the hell is a batter to get out of the way? As written, the ASA doesn't permit common sense to be applied.

Common sense certainly is not being applied based on the rule in NCAA, NFHS and any other rule set that followed. Way to many HBP that are either strikes or not in the batters box that the batters are just standing there taking, leaning into or hanging their armored elbows into. And, if you think the ASA rule is poorly written these other associations rules are equally as poorly written. All you ever hear from coaches and even umpires in general is that no attempt to avoid is required and that simply is not true. An attempt is required to avoid, unless the ball is ENTIRELY within the batters box.

Dakota Tue Jun 23, 2015 09:17pm

Funny, I never had a problem interpreting the ASA rule nor in applying it. I realize some one or two of you are anti-ASA in the extreme, but that does not mean the ASA rule does not allow for a proper application of the rule. It is the NCAA rule that has taken leave of common sense, IMO. And, I think the way the teams are taking advantage of the rule bears this out.

Andy Wed Jun 24, 2015 02:03pm

My feeling is that people are making this way too hard.

Why should the batter have to compensate for the pitcher throwing the ball where it shouldn't be?

The intent of the rule change was just that, but adding the verbiage about "entirely in the batter's box" caused some people to nitpick this to death.

The rule should simply read: If the batter is hit by a pitch NOT IN THE STRIKE ZONE, the batter is awarded first base.

As far as the batters crowding the plate...if the pitched ball doesn't hit her, there is very little room left for it NOT to be a strike......

azbigdawg Wed Jun 24, 2015 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 964141)

Why should the batter have to compensate for the pitcher throwing the ball where it shouldn't be?

The intent of the rule change was just that, but adding the verbiage about "entirely in the batter's box" caused some people to nitpick this to death.

The rule should simply read: If the batter is hit by a pitch NOT IN THE STRIKE ZONE, the batter is awarded first base.

As far as the batters crowding the plate...if the pitched ball doesn't hit her, there is very little room left for it NOT to be a strike......

Seems like simple genius to me....

AtlUmpSteve Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 964141)

So, Andy, in your rule verbiage, if a batter puts her elbow over the plate, and the pitch hits her elbow over the plate, but the pitch is too high to be a strike, you propose that should be an awarded base? Or kicks her foot out on a low pitch over the plate? High and low pitches are also where it shouldn't be, so anything but a strike is fair game to get a base award?

Just wanting to fully understand your position.

chapmaja Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:37pm

My opinion on this is simple. I feel there are two "zones" in which the players get. The first zone is the batters box. This is the batter's space. The second zone is the area from the inside line of the batter's box, across home plate and into the opposite batters box. This is the pitchers zone.

The rule should be simple. A pitched ball that strikes a batter in the batters box shall be ruled a HBP. A pitched ball that strikes a batter outside the of the batters box shall be ruled a dead ball and a strike or ball shall be awarded based on the location of the ball in relation to the strike zone.

There are only three things for an umpire to judge. Was the ball in the batters box or outside the batters box. Was the ball a strike or ball. Did the batter attempt to make contact with the pitched ball by swing or bunt attempt.

This rule would clearly define the space for each player and hopefully would eliminate the batters crowding the plate looking to get hit by a pitch. This also should not be a difficult call to make as the umpire should have a great view as to the location of the ball relative to the inside edge of the batters box. This rule also would eliminate the judgment of "did the batter attempt to avoid being hit by the ball?"

Andy Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 964160)
So, Andy, in your rule verbiage, if a batter puts her elbow over the plate, and the pitch hits her elbow over the plate, but the pitch is too high to be a strike, you propose that should be an awarded base? Or kicks her foot out on a low pitch over the plate? High and low pitches are also where it shouldn't be, so anything but a strike is fair game to get a base award?

Just wanting to fully understand your position.

I probably oversimplified somewhat...

I believe the intent of the rule change a few years back was simply to remove the requirement of the batter making an attempt to avoid the pitched ball. All other aspects of the rule should stay in place. So, no, a batter may not purposely try to be hit by the pitch.

EsqUmp Fri Jun 26, 2015 06:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 964056)
The batter is allowed to move while the pitch is in flight.

Way to miss the point, buddy.

EsqUmp Fri Jun 26, 2015 06:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 964064)
Common sense certainly is not being applied based on the rule in NCAA, NFHS and any other rule set that followed. Way to many HBP that are either strikes or not in the batters box that the batters are just standing there taking, leaning into or hanging their armored elbows into. And, if you think the ASA rule is poorly written these other associations rules are equally as poorly written. All you ever hear from coaches and even umpires in general is that no attempt to avoid is required and that simply is not true. An attempt is required to avoid, unless the ball is ENTIRELY within the batters box.

That has 0% to do with common sense. It has a 100% to do with rules knowledge and judgment. Don't confuse them.

CecilOne Fri Jun 26, 2015 07:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 964193)
Way to miss the point, buddy.

Sorry, tangents only allowed in geometry, I guess. :rolleyes:

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 27, 2015 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 964063)
Standing in his/her position is a bit narrow, need to allow for avoidance moves, etc.

I didn't write is. That was the rule in 1936

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 27, 2015 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 964164)
My opinion on this is simple. I feel there are two "zones" in which the players get. The first zone is the batters box. This is the batter's space. The second zone is the area from the inside line of the batter's box, across home plate and into the opposite batters box. This is the pitchers zone.

The rule should be simple. A pitched ball that strikes a batter in the batters box shall be ruled a HBP. A pitched ball that strikes a batter outside the of the batters box shall be ruled a dead ball and a strike or ball shall be awarded based on the location of the ball in relation to the strike zone.

There are only three things for an umpire to judge. Was the ball in the batters box or outside the batters box. Was the ball a strike or ball. Did the batter attempt to make contact with the pitched ball by swing or bunt attempt.

This rule would clearly define the space for each player and hopefully would eliminate the batters crowding the plate looking to get hit by a pitch. This also should not be a difficult call to make as the umpire should have a great view as to the location of the ball relative to the inside edge of the batters box. This rule also would eliminate the judgment of "did the batter attempt to avoid being hit by the ball?"

In that case, the batter should not be allowed to hit a pitch that is in the BB, right?

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 27, 2015 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 964063)

Not intentionally allowing the ball to hit him does cover avoidance.

CecilOne Sat Jun 27, 2015 07:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 964250)
That was the rule in 1936

I should have known! :rolleyes: :p :p :)