The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Iowa @ Wisconsin

2 outs, Iowa with runners at the corners.

Line drive over foul territory and F5 made a move on the ball but was going to be late and never had a shot at the ball. On the lunge toward foul territory there was some contact with runner that had no effect on the play. Call was foul ball.

Wisc coach comes out to discuss INT and that was about all the talking heads got right. TH claims the argument is based on the runner being in the base line. They jumped right in stating that the runner was in foul territory as if that meant it wasn't INT.

Huh?
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

They have no clue about 90% of the time. Forget who was playing yesterday, girl hits a double and as ss is crossing in front of her to go back to position the girl purposely runs into her trying to draw an obstruction call. However, time had already been called and it was nothing. Then the talking heads start spouting about how that was smart base running because if she had drawn the obstruction call it would be a free base advancement.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Why do you watch with the sound on?
Old Sun Apr 12, 2015, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Why do you watch with the sound on?
Fodder
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
...girl hits a double and as ss is crossing in front of her to go back to position the girl purposely runs into her trying to draw an obstruction call. However, time had already been called...
I'm confused... R runs into F6 (so she is apparently off the base), but TIME has been called?
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I'm confused... R runs into F6 (so she is apparently off the base), but TIME has been called?
Sounds off to me, too.

We shouldn't have time unless the ball is in the circle and the runner is stopped on the base (sorry, Mike, I know you prefer the alternative); if the ball is in the circle and I don't have time, it's a LBR violation, not a smart play at all.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Camera was zoomed in on the runner, so have no idea where the ball was. Apparently not in the circle since the runner did attempt to advance. I know I know dont listen to the announcers but being as the video didnt show anything had to go by what they said. After going on about how good of base running it was and if obstruction had been called it would have been a free base, they said there was no call because time had been called on the field.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2015, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is ground ruled double for some reason. I could see this on a fly up the gap that the runner has to hold up on in case it is caught. When she takes off she isn't looking to see the ball bounce over the fence. Thus when the contact had occurred the ball had already been declared dead, and thus the contact was nothing.