The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Iowa @ Wisconsin (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/99670-iowa-wisconsin.html)

IRISHMAFIA Sun Apr 12, 2015 04:53pm

Iowa @ Wisconsin

2 outs, Iowa with runners at the corners.

Line drive over foul territory and F5 made a move on the ball but was going to be late and never had a shot at the ball. On the lunge toward foul territory there was some contact with runner that had no effect on the play. Call was foul ball.

Wisc coach comes out to discuss INT and that was about all the talking heads got right. TH claims the argument is based on the runner being in the base line. They jumped right in stating that the runner was in foul territory as if that meant it wasn't INT.

Huh?

RKBUmp Sun Apr 12, 2015 05:27pm

They have no clue about 90% of the time. Forget who was playing yesterday, girl hits a double and as ss is crossing in front of her to go back to position the girl purposely runs into her trying to draw an obstruction call. However, time had already been called and it was nothing. Then the talking heads start spouting about how that was smart base running because if she had drawn the obstruction call it would be a free base advancement.

CecilOne Sun Apr 12, 2015 06:04pm

Why do you watch with the sound on? :confused: :)

IRISHMAFIA Sun Apr 12, 2015 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 960794)
Why do you watch with the sound on? :confused: :)

Fodder

Dakota Mon Apr 13, 2015 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 960793)
...girl hits a double and as ss is crossing in front of her to go back to position the girl purposely runs into her trying to draw an obstruction call. However, time had already been called...

I'm confused... R runs into F6 (so she is apparently off the base), but TIME has been called?

AtlUmpSteve Mon Apr 13, 2015 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 960819)
I'm confused... R runs into F6 (so she is apparently off the base), but TIME has been called?

Sounds off to me, too.

We shouldn't have time unless the ball is in the circle and the runner is stopped on the base (sorry, Mike, I know you prefer the alternative); if the ball is in the circle and I don't have time, it's a LBR violation, not a smart play at all.

RKBUmp Mon Apr 13, 2015 02:45pm

Quote:

Camera was zoomed in on the runner, so have no idea where the ball was. Apparently not in the circle since the runner did attempt to advance. I know I know dont listen to the announcers but being as the video didnt show anything had to go by what they said. After going on about how good of base running it was and if obstruction had been called it would have been a free base, they said there was no call because time had been called on the field.

chapmaja Mon Apr 13, 2015 09:44pm

Quote:

The only thing I can think of is ground ruled double for some reason. I could see this on a fly up the gap that the runner has to hold up on in case it is caught. When she takes off she isn't looking to see the ball bounce over the fence. Thus when the contact had occurred the ball had already been declared dead, and thus the contact was nothing.